Spark knock.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've read a few of the post about spark but have not been to find answers I am looking for. It only does it under load like when I'm in 4wheel drive or coming out of overdrive. And that's it. It's never Done it accelerating it, never does any other time just under those two conditions. It doesn't set a code, which is what is getting me the most with a code I could do more with but nothing. Spark plugs, wires, cab and rotor are about a year old. All ac Delco brand. Any clue what this May be.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only way to verify that would be to hook up a scanner capable of streaming data and record the knock sensor output under those conditions. The ECM should pull timing to correct the knock long before it's audible, so either your knock sensor is malfunctioning or it isn't spark knock.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Knock will never set a code hook a scanner to it and see how much retard your getting

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
I've just sorted out mystery "spark knock" in my '97, 4300 Vortec. My situation is similar to yours, brand new extreme quality tune up with hi-po parts - no good reason for this to occur. In my studies I found that if I filled my tank with super unleaded (91 octane) the problem would solve itself, only to return if running 87 octane.
Hmm. Obviously problem not solved - it's not tuned good enough. Grr.
Owning a Vortec has proved a rather steep learning curve, working around all the computer junk I so loathe in order to make the truck do what I want it to do. Look, I didn't buy it nor would I have, TOO NEW.
Beside the point. Turns out the stock distributor has right around + or - THREE DEGREES worth of play in its' lock down. Obviously, if the truck knocks under load, how the heck am I to adjust the timing? Stupid Vortec, thinks it's so smart. I'll show it! Given years of mileage and trucking, I assume the distributor loses time IN THAT "adjustment" and this is what I found to be my solution. It does NOT seems like much, but it worked for me. Maybe it will work for you. Clockwise to advance, counter to retard.
It reminds me of a similar solution found when working on FORDS. The SPOUT connector is worth three degrees retard and that often solves the owners' knock. Loosen the distributor lock down tab and wiggle it back a hair. This has been a proven solution upon successful conclusion of the 91 octane test. If your truck purrs like a kitten running 91 octane, I would jump at my offering of a fix, meager as it may seem.

If it was a physical issue like carbon build up on the valves or pistons -something similar, it would do it ALL THE TIME. I suggest the 91 octane test as mentioned above.

Last edited:

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will have to get my scan tool back. Let my dad use it. I've also tried every grade gas. From 7/11, wilco, shell. And even the cheap place. Southern. None of the gases fix it.

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry it's been so long. At idle the ignition timing advance is between 21 to 25 degrees.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I don't know about vortecs, but on a tbi 20 advanced at idle is right. Make sure the timing is set to 0. Are you running a tune or anything? I take it this knock is audible? Its probably something else gone bad causing the knock, unless your knock sensor microphone has gone bad.

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My scan tool won't tell me timing. And I don't have a way of checking that. It was ALOT worse during the colder months. Now that's its warm. It happens once in a while.