Something you might not have known about cordless drills...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eiriktveiten

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I work at an apartment complex. I do all of the maintenance. Some punk ass kids yanked off the pool drain cover. The new one I had to put on required 6 screws to be put into the bottom of the pool. I'm in southern Louisiana so draining the pool is not an option. I had a thought and a cheapo Black&Decker cordless drill laying around so I dunked it in the pool and pulled the trigger. It worked under water! It successfully drilled all 6 holes on a single charge, screwed all the screws in 6 feet under water and amazingly after about 20 hours.. IT STILL WORKS! I had mentioned it to a few people who were all amazed so I thought it might be useful info for anyone who might need to do similar work.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
This doesnt surprise me actually. Best way i have learned for breaking in RC motors which basically are smaller versions of the drill motor is to dunk them in a glass of water connected to a battery pack and letting it run till the battery is drained. So basically the same thing here. Hell you prob will have that drill last a bit longer now because of it lol.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Not something I would of thought to attempt!

C2...really? I've never done that to any of my RC motors! Huh! Good to know!

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Not something I would of thought to attempt!

C2...really? I've never done that to any of my RC motors! Huh! Good to know!

Yea i learned that from one of the guys i raced with with my carpet pan car. Its a trick to break in the hotter competition motors and have them last a bit longer.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I had RC10's. Stock engines in those rev 17,500 rpm's. Replacement engines would rev 25,000. How do I know this? Well, I use to have to replace the engines at least once a year. Drop in the new one & go. Sales guy never told me about a break in period. Hmmm...wonder why?
Had a boat that had 3 engines in it. It was about 4.5' long. Off-shore race style V-bottom with surface drives. Stupid fast! Faster than my buddy's 19'/350/V-drive that we used for a chase boat! Those engines in that would rev 64,000! In three years of owning that, never replaced an engine. Now that you mention the water trick for breaking them in, it makes sense, seeing as the engines in the boat had a tendency to get wet.

You should see how one of those boat motors in an RC10 can shred the teeth in the dif! But, it went like a ***** ape for about 10 minutes! The duration of one charged battery! Had to ease into the throttle, otherwise it would just spin donuts!

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I actually have an old rc10 gold chassis as well as two t3 and one t4 truck as well as the newer b3 and b4 buggies

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk 2

biggiecamp

Reaction score
Many of the new RC boats are water cooling the motors. I love the brushless setups I'm running on my 1/8 scales now. As long as you keep the receiver and ESC sealed away from the water, you can drive an electric powered RC under water.
I've even heard some motor manufacturers are testing the motors underwater before putting them up for sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBJMUjyPSFo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuLmh27uRW4

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
DC motors work underwater. Just gota watch out for rusting issues afterwards. Alcohol or electrical cleaner wash works well.

AC powered drills are a whole different story........
You must be registered for see images attach