Some kind of idiotic power issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds suspiciously like a simple brake switch problem. I had what I think we're similar symptoms a couple of years back where the torque converter wouldn't lock up at all, and then if I hit the brakes a little at highway speed it would. When climbing a hill the RPMs just seemed to keep going. Or something like that- it has been a couple of years. Anyway, it's only a $15 part and takes 5 minutes to change out. If your throwing parts at it you might want to look at that. I'm sure the thread is still around somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
My brake switch and the whole harness to it is new.

I've cleaned and taken the lip put of my throttle body, it's running better now. My muffler seems to be breaking apart , it's rattling pretty good.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you still have cats you really don't need a muffler. When I sold my 88 I'd tossed on the manifolds and exhaust back to the axle from my 98. This only included cats, and I'm pretty sure it was quieter than the no cat plus single 3" Magnaflow that I'd removed.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I don't have cat's, I do need an new exhaust, it leaks everywhere and generally sounds like crap.

When i leave tonight, it should be down around 40 degrees, so I guess I'll see how it goes.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
So, last weekend, (as in, 8 days ago), I pulled the TB, cleaned it all out, threw the IAC in some acetone, cut the lip of the throttle blade, and deleted the EGR.

Truck has been running fine ever since for the most part. Still sometimes arbitrarily decides to lock the converter in the middle of a long hill climb, then shift down, but otherwise fine.

metallica701

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a throttle position sensor as this has happened to me as well and that was the issue I also believe it probably is not your torque converter as it seems like it runs and shifts fine after actually moving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a throttle position sensor as this has happened to me as well and that was the issue I also believe it probably is not your torque converter as it seems like it runs and shifts fine after actually moving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless the brand new AC Delco TPS I replaced my old TPS with had failed in the exact same fashion, it wasn't the TPS.

But as I mentioned, it is running fine now :cheers: