[Solved] Anyone know what this HVAC connector is and if it can be bypassed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TravisR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I bought a new project and a bunch of the HVAC wires are melted. I need to repair the melted red wire going into this connector, but I see that the same three wires go in to it and come out the other side. What is the point of it? Does it do something or was it simply put there to allow easy connecting of different groups of wires? Could I bypass it completely?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that doesn’t make much sense does it.

Where do the wires go...do you think it is factory wiring?

First impression is that it is aftermarket, kind of like those adapter harnesses that crutchfield sells for radios and speakers so that you don’t have to splice wiring.

Could be wrong, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to repair the melted red wire going into this connector, but I see that the same three wires go in to it and come out the other side. What is the point of it?

This looks like your connector, on pg112
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the rest of the manual so you can use it to trace your feeds and loads. Look at 1991 ST 375-91-EDD
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Looks to me like you had a bad connection causing too much heat. (color codes should be the same going in/out). GM put these in to make it easier to hook up options (RPO)

TravisR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, @east302, I believe it is part of the factory HVAC wiring. Looks like @PlayingWithTBI confirmed that with the diagram above. Thanks for your input guys.

I decided to go ahead and bypass the connector for the red wire (and replace all the melted wires).

I also found that my blower motor was completely seized up, so I think that was causing a high load and the heat that melted them. After installing a new blower motor and replacing the melted wires, everything works (and my HVAC fuse is no longer blowing :)).