Soft/spongy brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Btw when you pull off the tires. Any unnormal wear between both pads and both shoes?

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I would replace the brake booster for piece of mind. Even though it's worked flawlessly it has 400k miles on it. Mine was working good but I'm sure its was starting to show symptoms. After my accident it had to be replaced but just saying. Having new braking system and some upgrades is the way to go. Especially if your towing. You want a healthy brake system to stop
I have an entire list of stuff that needs to be replaced, but with three trucks and two of them out of commission, I would like to have another one operational, as replacing the brake system on the truck would take me more than a weekend.

This won't be my main tow rig as I have a 97 K1500 with a 5 speed I will be using to tow with. Currently rebuilding the engine and the trans I'm having rebuilt. Hopefully I get it running soon, I miss three pedals.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Btw when you pull off the tires. Any unnormal wear between both pads and both shoes?
Not really, but my truck pulls to one side when driving, then to the opposite when braking. But weirdly it does't affect the brakes or even tires much. But that is a completely different story from my brake issue.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not really, but my truck pulls to one side when driving, then to the opposite when braking. But weirdly it does't affect the brakes or even tires much. But that is a completely different story from my brake issue.

Sound similar to mine, saving up for a upgrade...

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine been redone wasn't too bad. And I got to add some stuff like power steering cooler and in line filter. Also been practicing at work.. driving semi trucks... REALLY TORQUEY but fun

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing is going to give you a spongy pedal apart from bad MC or air. If your brakes were ****, or the rears were not working I could agree with you. There is still air in there. Best of luck with it.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
YES driving big trucks around is fun. Most people who learn how to move trailers around start small, and work their way up. I was the opposite, I learned how to dock a 53' then worked my way down to a 16' and 18' trailers.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Nothing is going to give you a spongy pedal apart from bad MC or air. If your brakes were ****, or the rears were not working I could agree with you. There is still air in there. Best of luck with it.
I'm going to see what I can do this weekend.

Also, I forgot to mention in the post, that after the abrupt stop, my parking brake no longer works.