soft brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrismoreno

Reaction score
I replaced the master cylinder & booster on my 96 sierra this weekend, I rigged up a way to bleed the system myself I bled the lines till the brake fluid ran clear and the hose was completly filled with brake fluid with no air bubbles and I still have a soft pedal, i did a little research and i'm pretty sure the ABS has air causing the soft pedal my question is how can get rid of the air without having to take it to a shop? i'm tight on funds and looking for a
way of doing this myself.... any advise will be much appreciated.

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is what I did when I was in the same situation a while back, go down some back roads, gravel is a little better for this, get it up to about 35mph and slam on the brakes to engage the abs. I did that 3-4 times then bled the brakes. It got better so I did it a couple more times. Much better pedal now. I have heard there is another way with a bleeder on the abs maybe??? Not sure, but that's how I got rid of my spongy pedal.

chrismoreno

Reaction score
thanks for the reply i did exactly what you suggested and it worked my pedal are not as spongy but I think i may just have a little air left in the lines so I'm going to do it again after work today.
thanks for the help

sgtpoliteness

Reaction score
When I bought my '96 Tahoe the pedal felt terrible. Everyone told me, "hey, they just suck". Well, the master was leaking a bit so I replaced it. And then I bled and bled and bled. I used a pressurized bleeder AND a scan tool to actuate the control valves for the ABS. I bet used a gallon of fluid. But guess what? The brakes actually feel pretty good! Not as good as my '91 Jetta GLI but good!

Just keep at the ABS activation and bleeding. It'll get there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my snap on solus pro has the automated bleed for abs on its program just did my 02 silverado brakes are perfect.

chrismoreno

Reaction score
I hear ya, I drove over to this gravel road bout a mile from house got up bout 35 mph and slammed on the brakes, i felt the ABS kick in i did this bout 3 times and bled the brakes the first time and went back the next day and did 4 more times and then bled the system again pretty sure I got all the air out the pedal is firm now, I don't know if doing it this way is all that good for your truck but hey when don't have access to a snap on solus pro or really can't afford getting gouged by the local shop this is the way to go.