95 k1500 suburban soft brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike5556

Reaction score
Can’t get rid of soft spongy brakes. One rear wheel used to lock up but I adjusted the shoe now it doesn’t lock up but pedal still soft. I replaced master cylinder and made sure to bench bleed before installing. I bled all 4 wheels at least 4 times already. I even tried bleeding the Kelsey Hayes abs unit. About that Kelsey Hayes abs. I noticed that when stepping on the brake either with it on or off , the little nipple thing on the side of it comes out and leaks fluid, is that the problem? Sorry if this has been asked. Thanks.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, any leaks are a problem. If it leaks its cause pressure found an exit. One wheel skid? On rear what did the other do?
I would have checked the wheel that didn't skid as being out of adjustment. Maybe the skidding wheel is the only one without air in lines, it's getting full line pressure. Before adjusting rear shoes you can feel , by foot, how high pedal is at application. After adjusting shoes the pedal usually is higher at application because the rear cylinders travel less distance to apply.
What method did you use to bleed brakes?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having the lil' nipple pop out is not a problem. Having it leak IS a problem.

HOW did you bleed the ABS? See attachment.

Rear brake adjustment is a genuine pain in the ass if you have the crappy 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe rear drums. DOES THE PARK BRAKE WORK AND RELEASE PROPERLY?

Attachments

• 1990s_GM_Light_Truck_Kelsey_Hayes_ABS_Brake_Bleeding_Procedure_Ref_Cards.pdf
    130.2 KB · Views: 14

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know when my mom and dad bought the 95 new she always complained the brakes were a little soft. Fast forward, my dad had passed, I bought the truck. Brake job, new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, rotors, pads. Get son to sit seat ( do I have to ? Yes!) Pump and hold brakes, while I bleed and keep master full. I put 2 quarts through till all old fluid flushed out. Adjust shoes. Pedal not even half way firm feel good pedal. Few weeks later Mom comes by to use truck, bought a table.
Gets back " what did you do! " Oh jeez, now what did I do....
The brakes were never that good. I can't explain, I just followed service manual and I've done it a few times in 40 plus years.

Mike5556

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! The wheel that was locking up was rear passenger. I tried bleeding the abs unit through that port. I bled brakes with someone stepping on brakes and also did it with vacuum pump from harbor freight. In the second picture you can see the nipple on the Kelsey Hayes sticking out and leaking fluid with the pedal pressed in. I’m gonna try bleeding everything one more time tomorrow and adjusting rear shoes but doubt it’s gonna do anything.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! The wheel that was locking up was rear passenger. I tried bleeding the abs unit through that port. I bled brakes with someone stepping on brakes and also did it with vacuum pump from harbor freight. In the second picture you can see the nipple on the Kelsey Hayes sticking out and leaking fluid with the pedal pressed in. I’m gonna try bleeding everything one more time tomorrow and adjusting rear shoes but doubt it’s gonna do anything.
Mine is a 97 Tahoe 4x4 and have the same right rear drum lock up. Seems this is not unusual. Come to a stop and the brake sticks on that wheel.
Had the dealer do a full bleed and fluid change but they couldn't because right rear wouldn't bleed.
They blamed the ABS system.
Right rear brake works. With the wheel off the ground you can spin it and push the peddle and the wheel stops. IF the brake work then fluid is getting there.
They were too lazy to remove the bleeder and replace it.

Still haven't solved the brake sticking issue and still have soft peddle.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried bleeding the abs unit through that port.
That's the combination valve, it's bolted-to the ABS unit. That is not the ABS unit itself.

I bled brakes with someone stepping on brakes and also did it with vacuum pump from harbor freight.
That does not bleed all of the ABS system. Can bleed "some" of the ABS unit.

I’m gonna try bleeding everything one more time tomorrow and adjusting rear shoes but doubt it’s gonna do anything.
You're right. Probably not going to help.

You need a scan tool to bleed the ABS. See previously-attached instruction sheet.

Mike5556

Reaction score
That's the combination valve, it's bolted-to the ABS unit. That is not the ABS unit itself.

That does not bleed all of the ABS system. Can bleed "some" of the ABS unit.

You're right. Probably not going to help.

You need a scan tool to bleed the ABS. See previously-attached instruction sheet.
Thank you for your replies, I’m not even going to bother bleeding anything today I am going to look into an abs scanner or a shop that can deal with it.