sludge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleddyeddy

Reaction score
took my valve cover off yestarday and they are fulll of sludge. im figuring the whole motor is full of sludge it runs fine and goes good for power. is there anything to clean that out

turbopbw

Reaction score
Make sure your pcv vavle is functional sounds like it's not. I've heard of people running 1/2 quart little Marvel mystery oil with good quality oil (remaining oil level), check those threads on Bob the oil guy sitte.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
There are all sorts of additives that clame to clean it out but the only thing i have seen that works is tranny fluid. You just gotta make sure that it all is flushed out good before running it. I have never done it but i know some people here have so maybe one of them will chime in to give up the details.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A can or two of seafoam is a good one too.

I agree. I seafoam my Camaro every couple years. I've run it through the oil and fuel on the truck (never the intake), but I've never pulled the valve covers to check the valve train out.

Dump 1/2 can of Seafoam into the oil, drive it for about 100 miles, then change the oil (don't go beyond 100 miles before changing oil though). You may want to do this about 100 miles prior to your next oil change too.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what color is the sludge? is this a vortec L31 or L30 engine?

sleddyeddy

Reaction score
black sludge and lots of it. the motor seems to run really good. its a 1990 gmc with the 5.7 350

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah okay, if it was a vortec with lighter tan sludge I'd say intake gaskets had gone. but, yeah clean it up some as was stated.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
leave it alone unless you want to put a motor in the truck... you knock all that crap lose and it goes to your pan an plugs up you oil pick up... an BOOM!!!! you will spin a bearing... or burn the motor up...

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Listen to Stroker, a friend of mine did the concoction with atf and it idled for 3 minutes then locked up.