Silicone Hose Kit for OBS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LA2SD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a search here, and on GMFS, but couldn't find anything. Nothing on google either.

Hard to believe the no one makes a silicone coolant hose kit for the 1988-1998 OBS.

Does anyone know of a kit, or where I could get one made?

LA2SD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah, I saw that, but I believe silicone does a better job.

I contacted Samco, and one of their reps said they could build one, but that it would cost me $900 bucks, unless I order 50 kits.

Thought about posting a group buy on the forum, but this place doesn't seem active enough. Plus each kit would run $300 - $400 bucks.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Good luck finding anyone to buy those. My rubber napa ones have done the job for 4 years so far with no signs of giving up

LA2SD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. It's a lot...too much really. Especially for my sweet old truck.

Now if I had a Corvette...

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
Not to be a party pooper! But what's the benefits of silicone hoses? My k2500 had all the original hoses on it when I LS swapped it. All still in great shape. 230k on the clock. I even kept the radiator hoses in case my ol mans truck needed one.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They're a lot more resistant to oils attacking them, and age in general. Rubber hoses definitely go bad quicker. This is why cop applications have used silicone hoses, at least they did in the past - check any 9C1 Caprice and you'll find green hoses on them; the Impala SS guys went nuts buying them up for their cars.

I scored a couple sets of Goodyear "Hi-Miler" blue silicone hoses for my trucks many years ago; Summit was blowing them out on clearance. The heater hoses were incorrect as they were both the same size, so that was kind of a bummer. If I recall they also were not correct on the lower hose due to my truck having the wider 34" core radiator. Doesn't look like these sets are still available now.

If there's just none out there that will fit GMT400's then your best bet is just stick with a name brand like Gates or Goodyear. I've never thought much of Dayco hoses or belts, just from experience. Or their garbage belt tensioners..

Goodyear Hi-Milers:
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

LA2SD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Eviluncle pointed these out, and I saw them too when I was looking for a kit. They're rubber, but reinforced, and the price isn't too bad, so maybe I'll give 'em a try:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, what you've found are the re-branded or whatever Goodyear Hi-Miler hoses like in my pic. These are the same hoses. Now that I can look up current data on them I see they weren't actually silicone but they are EPDM rubber which is a synthetic rubber, with an aramid (Nomex) reinforcement.

They're good stuff...

Richard

LA2SD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I checked it out, and you're right about them being rebranded. Looks like Conti purchased the company that made some Goodyear Engineered products. Cool that they're still Goodyear, technically.

Alright, time to order some new parts!