Shuddering brake pedal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Coming hope tonight going about 120 I hit the brakes and the brake pedal seems to shudder along with the entire vehicle. Seems to do this all the time now when I'm driving at higher speeds. I know the pads and rotors and pretty warn, would replacing them get rid of the shudder?

Also what type of rear disk conversions are available for a 6lug half ton?

Thanks for the help.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like warped rotors to me. New pads and rotors should cure the problem but it wouldn't hurt to inspect the rears either.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SSBC makes conversion kits for drum to disc.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like warped rotors to me. New pads and rotors should cure the problem but it wouldn't hurt to inspect the rears either.

The rears are pretty worn so I'd just change them all. Thanks for the help man.

Problem2420 - ABS light does not come on.

Sweet mother of God that kit is pricey for the disk brake conversion, are there any others not so expensive? haha

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
honestly unless you're running huge tires i don't think disc are worth the hassle for the back brakes, stick with drums. If you are looking to get more a responsive brake pedal I hear adding hydroboost to these brakes works wonders but I don't know much on the subject.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time to bump this thread majorly. I had the shuddering last year and i knew the brakes were done for so the front rotors were replaced and the rear drums were machined but the problem is STILL there. I havent had any time to check things out with school and stuff and I'm not taking it to a shop. I havent driven the truck much so its not a huge deal though.

Anyways, when i hit the brakes very softly and when i stomp on them the shuddering isnt there. But when i moderately brake the back end of the truck just bounces like crazy. The only thing I can think of is that the brake drums were already expanded too much and machining them did nothing when they should have just been replaced. Either that or a whole new rear drum rebuild?

Could it also be that a tire is out of round?

Any suggestions appreciated I need to get this problem fixed asap.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
When replacing the rotors & drums, I have the new ones turned right outa the box. You'd be surprised at how out of wack they can be, even when new.
I've also found both my trucks to be finicky about wheel nut torque. DO NOT tighten them down completely with an impact.
Only because I have access to brake lathes, & a hoist, I did an experiment when I had these same probs you're having. And I've had 'em, to the point of doing complete brake jobs 2X in a month, trying to eliminate the shuddering.
Tightened the wheels with an impact the same as if a 'pro' tire shop might, right after a brake job, which included turning of the drums & rotors. Drove it 100 miles. The shuddering returned with a vengence!
Pulled the drums & rotors off, & threw them back onto the lathes. ALL needed to be turned to make 'em round again!
When it was all back together, I used a torque wrench to snug the wheels down to 100lbs, then went around 'em all again, torqueing the wheels down to 110lbs, then once again to 120lbs. Yea. I know, just a bit **** retentative, but since I've followed this procedure, the shuddering has been all but eliminated.
I've had tire guys say that this is not required. They've told me that their impact gun was just calibrated (?), or that the 'torque sticks' on the gun are infallible. I don't care. I say use a torque wrench or stay away from my wheels!

SSBC is the only Co. that makes their own rear disc set, that matches their front big brake kit. All the others that I've found make their own big brake kits for the front, but the rear is cobbled from various off the shelf G.M. parts. Not saying that that's not right, or that they won't work, but SSBC's R&D is a bit more advanced than the average 'do-it-yourself' guy. They've developed a specific set of rear brakes for a specific vehicle. And that R&D time ain't cheap!
The advantage to that is having the confidence in your brakes backed up by a respected manufacturer. Piece of mind.
Aesthetically, I like the idea of matching rotors & calipers peeking out from behind the 20's!
But I still haven't made the leap to an aftermarket big brake kit, because like you said, damnnnn, those things are freakin' expensive. The complete four corner system that I've been looking at for a long time, is $3500.00!!! That's more than what I paid for my whole '97!

If you do go to an aftermarket rear disc system, remember that most require a wheel size of 17" or larger.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you flushed the system ever? or bleed it? You would feel a out of round tire at slow speeds.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I have never bled the system but it would almost make sense that could be it. It seems as if the brakes come on hard, back off them come back again. Could be air in the brake lines?