Shift up light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kyotey1693

Reaction score
I managed to change my moonies out for some needle style gauges with a tach and everything works flawlessly (I was doubtful that it would). My truck was originally a 4.3 w/ a 5 speed but now its a 350 w/ a 5 speed. I got the speedo dialed in to the tire and rear end size (verified w/ gps) and all the rest of the gauges seem to be pretty close.

The one thing I cant figure out is the shift up light. My old cluster had one but it never came on. I dont know if the bulb was just out or what. The new one works but it seems to think I have a 6 speed. I know under normal circumstances any factory shift light comes on pretty early but I cant understand why it even comes on in 5th. Shouldn't it stop after 5th? What triggers it? Can I calibrate it or change it? It's not a big deal, I just like to make as many things as possible function properly.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
being a stick the computer does not know what gear the trans in in so it just is set to go on at a rpm trigger. my jeep does the same thing but it goes off after a minuet of driving at a steady speed.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
I have the 350 along with the 5 speed but I've never noticed a shift light before. Do you happen to have a pic on where it is located in the cluster?

You've got me wondering now if I have a bulb out

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
I have the 350 along with the 5 speed but I've never noticed a shift light before. Do you happen to have a pic on where it is located in the cluster?

You've got me wondering now if I have a bulb out

Upper left corner of the cluster. No idea how to calibrate. I just ignore it.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In a normal truck, with the factory engine/manual trans, and original electronics....

The Shift Up light will come up when you rev it into the orange (or red, if you have a '94) in the guage. Approx. 4000-4500 RPM's.

That's when it did it in my old one. I usually shifted at 2000-2500 RPM's.

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
my 95 305 5 speed lights up around 1500-2k depending on how im accelerating but iv never seen it come on in 5th gear