Shackle Flip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thinking on replacing my 5.5" rear block with a ORD shackle flip and 1" zero rate (keeping stock shackle). Just wondering if anyone else using this setup (or any other brand).

Does it elimate axle wrap?
How about towing, I haul my 4-wheeler in the bed from time to time, about 500-600lbs max?
Any difference in ride?
Any pros and/or cons to it?

Lastly post any pictures of them, I have a 1.5" body lift, hoping not to much of the shackle will be dangling down.

Thanks

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read were some guys are mounting the shackle flip farther forward than the factory shackle mount. Something like moving the rear mounting holes of the new shackle mount to the original front holes on the frame and drilling new front holes. Does that sound about right? Or should you just reuse the original mounting holes.

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what your saying is that the setup I described is the way to go. It gives you a better shackle angle and as a result a better ride.

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine with stock shackle and in the stock rivet locations.
I think moving it an inch forward would have improved the shackle angle but it looked like more trouble that it was worth for me. (see 3rd pic for angle)
I had to add a 4* shim to mine to set the proper driveshaft to differential angle.
I also flipped my U-bolts sice I had to buy new ones.
I used the 1" offset on the zero rate to move the axle back 1" to re-center it in the wheel well.
I think it rides smoother/better than stock with the flip and new shocks.
No body lift. You can just see the springs at the bottom of the bed in the first pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

The Daver

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im interested in this shackle flip. Im thinking of lifting my tahoe and Im looking at all the different ways... How much lift does a shackle flip give you? Where do I buy one/or find more info on one??

Reaction score
Instead of zero rate blocks couldn't you move the front mount back an inch or so? wouldn't that solve both problems by centering it and a better angle?

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the ORD ones. about 4" lift for $167 plus shipping
http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm

I am sure that would work but allot of work for small gain. I don't think that you would have any problems if you didn't recenter the axle. I just did it while I was there and it was easy to do with my configuration since the 0 rate had the holes to do it.