Service Engine Soon light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigtmoney

Reaction score
Ok, so my motor swap drama continues....Got a service engine soon light that won't go off. Got everything hooked back up after switching, set timing to 0 degrees. Truck runs and drives pretty good, I did break the tube that comes out of the drivers side valve cover and goes to the throttle body spacer....could that be causing my check engine light?

Engine is 91 tbi 350 in a 92 tbi 350 truck. Intake and all exhaust sensors came off old engine that didn't have a SES light on!?!?!?

Any ideas?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That tube is the crankcase breather tube and no it shouldn't cause a light to be on, but you are going to have to find out what the code in the computer is before we can really help you, either with a scan tool, or the flashing light method but I've never done it so I can't tell you how to do it.

bigtmoney

Reaction score
Ok, I did the paper clip method earlier. Got codes 15 and 33, 15 says coolant temp sensor and 33 says MAP...I got another map at pull a part, I'll try that one tomorrow.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you tried to unhook the battery or ecm fuse for a few minutes to clear it, then try it?

Does it run bad?

nevermind you already know how to pull them.

coolant temp sensor is cheap like $12 and usually makes the thing run rich.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it's in the intake near the t-stat, the one in the head near cylinder one is for the gauge or light in dash. It's called a coolant temp. sending unit.

The other is a coolant temp sensor. The sensor is what you want.

bigtmoney

Reaction score
I thought that was the coolant temp sensor. Now that I think about it, I did have to mix and match from 3 intakes (long story) to get all the EGR stuff together..all 91-92-93 tbi 350's.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea the one in the head is for the gauge in dash and is the collant temp. sending unit.

The intake mounted is the cts, for the computer.

egr's suck, you have to make sure you got the right one or it'll act up, you got positive pressure ones and negative pressure ones I think is what they call them, plus egr solenoid and crap. I hate it, removed all of mine.

bigtmoney

Reaction score
SES light gone....so far. I replaced the MAP sensor and plugged CTS back in...don't know why they made the connections soo cheap on the CTS!

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wait the cts was unplugged? if so that's why you had the light. wonder it didn't flood the plugs completely out.