serpentine belt noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well since its gotten colder out, when i remote start my truck to let it warm up a bit i noticed my serpentine belt has started to squeal. now once the truck is warmed up the noise is gone and so on and so forth. my question is, is this normal? or is it time to replace the belt?

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
No not unless you spray an awful lot. My old mustang had an aggressive shift kit that made the belt squeel during shifts, the dressing applied once a month or so stopped it. If you want a nice belt, get the Goodyear gator back ones.

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No not unless you spray an awful lot. My old mustang had an aggressive shift kit that made the belt squeel during shifts, the dressing applied once a month or so stopped it. If you want a nice belt, get the Goodyear gator back ones.
good to know, thanks man

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You may be getting warnings of a bearing on one of your accessories trying to lock up, or a failing tensioner or pulley letting it ride a little sideways. Or, your pulleys could be contaminated with something like oil or grease. Usually once something gets "in" the belt it's going to make noise forever.

You could spray belt dressing on it or even rub a bar of soap against a pulley (carefully) as it's running and it will probably shut up, but you're missing out on an opportunity to figure out what it is before it gets worse...

Richard

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Check your idler pulleys. Mine squealed like that too, but it was the the tensioner pulley bearing making the noise.

Sent from Robl@and!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I replaced everything that rotated on the front of the engine trying to cure a squeal. Of course, it was the last & most difficult piece to replace that was causing it. Power steering pump.

Oldguy

Reaction score
I do not appreciate the dancing dino on your signature.... He's OK but the quote is infantile and offensive. I have a higher regard for my mother, wife and daughters than that.
Check your idler pulleys. Mine squealed like that too, but it was the the tensioner pulley bearing making the noise.

Sent from Robl@and!

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I do not appreciate the dancing dino on your signature.... He's OK but the quote is infantile and offensive. I have a higher regard for my mother, wife and daughters than that.

You got hitched? That's a bummer.

But anyways, send him a PM. That's kind of comment causes huge derailments.

~Via Mobile