Seriously Slow 94 K2500 Cheyenne Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kinyocase

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Okay I picked this poor girl up 2 years ago with my wife off the side of the road. A local pig farmer sold her to us with a utility bed for $500 cash. We scrapped the old utility
bed for $200 a couple months later. (Unfortunately I can't find the images at this time of the truck with bed.) This poor thing has over 280k on the dash that no longer tracked
miles so mileage is unknown. The exhaust was non-existent passed the cut off y-pipe, and the transmission is quite probably on its very last leg. However she did come with a very decent Ramsey 10,000lb winch and front bumper that more than makes up for the purchase price of the truck.

Fast forward to this month. I found a 350 takeout from an 89 1-Ton with under 50k on it for a steal of a price. Finally ordered the exhaust to get it going. Took the original
intake manifold from the 350 the truck had and cleaned it right up with some good old fashion elbow grease. Now the only thing I'm trying to decide is the transmission. I have the 4L80e in her right now that I can either have rebuilt or rebuild myself. A place about 100 miles from me rebuilds them for 895 and for me to rebuild is right around the same
price after buying the "special tools."

This is the before picture of the intake manifold from the original 280k+ mile engine. There was an incredible amount of gunk on this thing and the poor TBI FPR had been leaking
for quite some time.

And this image here is 2.5 hours after starting to work on her. I'm thinking I'll probably take it to my local machine shop to get it hot tanked.

I will be getting with an old friend of mine to build a custom flatbed for it with gooseneck and frame mounted hitch.

I'm far from a certified mechanic and work on my gravel driveway. I will be starting to put her back together at the start of spring so the thread will be slow until that point.
If anybody has any pointers for me or things to know please feel free to share. I've done a serious amount of reading on these old trucks and this isn't my first. I'm still quite
young and have a lot to learn but I'm more than willing to take the time to figure her out.

kinyocase

Reaction score
Haha I'm so glad you cleared that up with "crab" 97k1500! I was like what the heck is a crab!? Yea it really is decent on the outside...the inside however is a whole different story. Seats were completely trashed, dash is falling apart and all interior panels are laying on the floor.