seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I could go for a garnet red leather (or cloth/velour!) bench that looks so soft and pillowy that you'd be tempted to break into it just to sit in it....

I could use a new foam cushion for mine, its still got plenty of support, but the drivers side edge seems to have a bit more give than the rest of the seat. I'd like it have more of a "sink into" vs. "sit on" feel than it does, but not sure how to go about it.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That can be done by using a progression of different foam densities.
A thinner layer on the bottom of dense to very dense foam. This prevents your bottom from bottoming out!
Followed by a 2" layer of medium dense foam. This is for support & a good 'feel'.
The top layer of 1/2" to 1" soft foam gives that initial feel of 'comfy'. That nice soft pillowy feel.

This seat has a layer of the firm & the medium foam installed. ('39 Ford standard coupe)The softer 1/2' is actually sewn into the covers. That's what is used to make the pleats. This is just one example. I was limited to how soft the seat could be made due to the style. This seat's main base is made of plywood. That's because all the original furniture style springs were tossed. I can still do this type of foam progession over the original springs. GMT400's don't have springs as such. I usually rip all that out. For one, it's old. For 2, it was production-line crap to begin with. I replace it with 2" wide elastic, used in furniture reupholstery. I stretch & attach strips of that side to side & weave it over & under with pieces front to back. By how many strips of the elastic, & how tight I stretch the strips will determine how soft or firm the seat will be when finished. By using this method, I can even make one side of the seat softer or firmer than the other side.

You must be registered for see images attach

The finished cushion & backrest. The outer frame panels still need to be done in the pix.

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
could I cut foam out of my bench seat and glue it to fix a bucket seat and then just run a seat cover? It would be temp until I find diff seats to put on the tracks. I have a pic of the seat if that helps.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
could I cut foam out of my bench seat and glue it to fix a bucket seat and then just run a seat cover? It would be temp until I find diff seats to put on the tracks. I have a pic of the seat if that helps.

Sure! A trick to do that is cut the f'd up part out so that the edges that you're gluing the new foam to, are square. Basically 'squaring up' the trashed part. Use an electric knife from the kitchen (shhh. Don't let the wifee know!) Spray it with some silicone spray to make it cut nice through the foam. Measure the opening that you've made, & cut a matching piece out of the donor, just a bit larger. 1/4" around will be fine. You can always make it smaller. A pita to make it larger! Glue it inwith some 3M '90'. When it's all glued back into shape, take some light material & wrap & glue it around the repair to help hold it all together. Don't cover up the attachment points, such as the velcro in the foam, or, if it has Hog Rings, where they attach.

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sure! A trick to do that is cut the f'd up part out so that the edges that you're gluing the new foam to, are square. Basically 'squaring up' the trashed part. Use an electric knife from the kitchen (shhh. Don't let the wifee know!) Spray it with some silicone spray to make it cut nice through the foam. Measure the opening that you've made, & cut a matching piece out of the donor, just a bit larger. 1/4" around will be fine. You can always make it smaller. A pita to make it larger! Glue it inwith some 3M '90'. When it's all glued back into shape, take some light material & wrap & glue it around the repair to help hold it all together. Don't cover up the attachment points, such as the velcro in the foam, or, if it has Hog Rings, where they attach.

thanks

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i wonder what a seat would cost to ship to you to get done? a 60/40 hmm im thinking of a tan with the rustic brown out of the ford ranch truck..