Santa thought I need a rebuild for x-mas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So tranny started shifting hard on the way home last night, this morning was very sluggish in first and second, and would not go over 40mph. Limped it home now I need some advice- I have never worked on a trans but have a mech in the family to come help. I have a few questions

1: what is the best- most cost effective rebuild kits out their.
2: ??? can I disconnect the trany cooler line and pump most the oil out before I drop the pan????
3: Would I be better off buying a rebuilt tranny to just swap in??? I have found them between 500-850.

Thanks,
Also any other tips you guys think would be usefull.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
A rebuild will save you time, but costs more.
Doing it yourself is cheaper, but will take longer.
If you have the time & patience, rebuild it. Something that I've always wanted to attempt. If it's your DD, & you can afford it, go rebuilt. A warranty is nice, too.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. If you go buy your parts local, make sure you get either Borg Warner or raybestoes frictions. The gasket kit, either precision or trans-tech. DO NOT get the cheap allomatic friction pack. Get a good torque converter, preferably a carbon clutch. It's best to tear down the unit before ordering parts, simply because you do not know what you are going to need. Here are the basics.
1. Banner Kit (70.00)
2. Band (high energy) (12.00)
3. New hardened shell (22.00)
4. Pressure control solenoid (20.00)
5. Reverse Boost valve .500 (9.00)
6. Filter (4.00)
7. 5-3/4 steel plates .106" thick (10.00)
8. Converter (70.00)
9. Steel Molded 3/4 Piston (10.00)
10. Forward Sprag 29 Element (35.00)

This is a good basic overhaul package. Still would need to inspect the pump, drums, planets for wear. It wouldn't hurt to put a small transgo orange box shift kit (50.00) but it's not critical.

2. You can disconnect the line, it will pump most of the fluid out, don't do it too long pump wear can occur if it runs dry very long.

3. I would rebuild it. Chances of you finding a low mileage 93 model transmission in a yard are slim. Its almost 20 years old. Ryan's rule of thumb is don't buy a transmission that has set up over 6 months or is over 6 years old or over 100,000 miles.

If it's your first, you will probably need a manual. Most transmission supply places carry the ASTG book, its a must. A few special tools needed, we have people come in to compress a drum or line up a pump. I tell um to tip my builder 5-10 bucks and it helps everyone.

Hope this helps