safe picking points for l29 and nv4500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

n2osbs10

Reaction score
hey guys, i just bought a 98 cclb 3500 with a big block and nv4500. motor/trans needs pulled and cleaned up/ re-sealed, it leaks from everywhere. im not sure where to pick it from. i removed the front clip so i can pull the motor/trans together. Can i pull the upper intake and make a picking plate? can i hook 1 chain to each corner exhaust manifold bolt? should i grab it from the fron and rear of the heads? howevever i grab it i would like it to be "square" so it dosent twist or fight me on the way out, this is a solo mission and it will be everything i have just to roll the hoist across my hand trowled concrete floor, its not smooth. lol. thanks in advance!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
hey guys, i just bought a 98 cclb 3500 with a big block and nv4500. motor/trans needs pulled and cleaned up/ re-sealed, it leaks from everywhere. im not sure where to pick it from. i removed the front clip so i can pull the motor/trans together. Can i pull the upper intake and make a picking plate? can i hook 1 chain to each corner exhaust manifold bolt? should i grab it from the fron and rear of the heads? howevever i grab it i would like it to be "square" so it dosent twist or fight me on the way out, this is a solo mission and it will be everything i have just to roll the hoist across my hand trowled concrete floor, its not smooth. lol. thanks in advance!
I tend to choose bolting the lift chain to the heads and adjust how the lift behaves by throwing a bolt through the chain on either side of the lift hook.

Do yourself a favor on that rough floor by laying down a sheet or two of plywood for your lift to roll on.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to choose bolting the lift chain to the heads
Front of one head, rear of the other head. My L29 heads used 7/16-14 bolts, earlier heads were 3/8-16.

and adjust how the lift behaves by throwing a bolt through the chain on either side of the lift hook.
Yes, that's one way to do it.

I bolt the chain around the hook. You can test-lift to get the hook positioned properly for appropriate balance, but do not fail to secure the chain so that the hook can't slide along the links.

Lifting a pickup bed to replace the fuel pump--but the concept is the same.
You must be registered for see images attach

"Most" common engine hoists are weak and short. Be careful. Having the front sheetmetal gone makes this easier.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Front of one head, rear of the other head. My L29 heads used 7/16-14 bolts, earlier heads were 3/8-16.

I bolt the chain around the hook. You can test-lift to get the hook positioned properly for appropriate balance, but do not fail to secure the chain so that the hook can't slide along the links.

"Most" common engine hoists are weak and short. Be careful. Having the front sheetmetal gone makes this easier.
Engine mount bolts are great for this, IMO. Long, strong, and already have a matching nut handy. I would only use "spare" ones though, not ever intended to re-use on an engine mount.

And yes, a lot of engine hoists are cheap junk. I should have never sold my Ex-cell USA-made hoist years ago. :( Extendable legs were a great feature to avoid tip-over from extending the boom with a heavy load.

A little late-night swapping of a fully-dressed Vortec 7.4/4L80E from my old shop wrecker '98 C3500 into the '93 3500HD project truck my buddy Nick was picking up from me. You may note the lack of anything keeping the chain from sliding side to side on the hook.. we were really tired, under schedule pressure, and unnecessary shortcuts were taken. Fortunately, all went well.

That's his white '94 3500HD wrecker in the background..

Richard

n2osbs10

Reaction score
I tend to choose bolting the lift chain to the heads and adjust how the lift behaves by throwing a bolt through the chain on either side of the lift hook.

Do yourself a favor on that rough floor by laying down a sheet or two of plywood for your lift to roll on.

Richard
richard, 2 sheets of plywood!!! you must be a rich man, lol.

i like this idea, thank you. My hoist identifies as a crane, its massive...it the harbor freight "heavy duty" engine stand im worried about, lol

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
richard, 2 sheets of plywood!!! you must be a rich man, lol.

i like this idea, thank you. My hoist identifies as a crane, its massive...it the harbor freight "heavy duty" engine stand im worried about, lol
You could save a few bucks and get OSB, just don't leave it outside when it rains. ;)

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
When I pulled my Buick 430 with TH400 I used the intake manifold bolts at opposite corners. I think those bolts were 3/8ths. I expect that my harder with the L29 since the intake is quite tall compared to a carb intake. It's also heavier.