running very poorly for a couple of minutes after startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i t is A '88 with the 454 and it is running very poorly , barely at all for a minute or two after startup and the check engine light is on all of a sudden the light goes off and the engine start running perfect. any ideas greatly appreciated.

scoob8000

Reaction score
Are you familier with open vs closed loop? If so, does it start running good once it's in open loop? (Usually after a few minutes)

I would suspect the coolant temp sensor first.

Reaction score
I am not sure what you are talking about with the open and closed loop but I do know that it does it on cold start and on warm start but not always on either. And I do need to get a code reader on it thats for sure.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On an 88 no code reader in required. On the computer plug in connect the a and b terminal 2uth s piece of wire or paperclip and turn the ignition to on, do not start it. The first code that should come up is 12. The engine light will blink once the stop for a second and then blink twice. That will be a 12..It will repeat the code 3 times then move to the next. It does each code 3 times. The code 12 is nothing to worry about as it just means it's working..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If my explanation confused you at all look up how to read Chevy obd1 codes. It's really really easy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk