running temp? thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
aight so after starting my truck up from being cold it would go past running temp up to a tick past 210 then drop back down to reg running temp about 195. so i figured it was just a sticky thermostat so i replaced it. well i've had the new thermostat (duralast from autozone) in for less than a week and its already doing what it did before. it now fluctuates from about a tick over 210 down to a tick above half way inbetween 100 and 210 (155 about?). it has been pretty cold when it started acting up (single digits outside temp). after i start it up it will run past running temp up to a tick past 210, stay there a couple sec then drop down to a tick above 155ish. then it will climb slowly to around 195 and then randomly go up a tick past 210 then drop down and randomly continue to do this every once in awhile.

my question is, is it common for these engines to run at or above 210 temp? or am i looking at a bad thermostat or just a bad gauge? or could it be something else?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would actually doubt that you're over 210, my gauge reads 210 when the PCM and infared thermometer is showing 195. those gauges are kinda just there for show, they're horribly innacurate. if you can get a scanner, see what the PCM is acutally reading for the temp.

its not abnormal for the temp to spike and come back to operating temp, but if its fluctuating up and down randomly, that may be an issue, could be a bad thermostat (I've seen bad ones out of the box before), bad temp sender for the gauge, cooling system problems, etc, etc, etc.

first thing is first, check the PCM temp and see if the gauge fluctuations are mirrored in the PCM temp reading.

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ya ik just cuz its a new part doesnt mean its good lol

ya wasnt sure if my gauge is just off or what. i'll check it out.