*Running O2 Sensors Properly Without Cats?*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Just saying.. but my 97 5.7 reads no codes with out cats and all 4 O2 sensors in normal positions. Considering I want tune in the future I'll still have the rear sensors tuned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
It also appears that whippy is asking about the main sensors, where as kennys reply is about the post cats sensors.. or am I reading that wrong?

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
Just saying.. but my 97 5.7 reads no codes with out cats and all 4 O2 sensors in normal positions. Considering I want tune in the future I'll still have the rear sensors tuned out.

I'm already reading a cat code as-is. My old man's buddy said my cats are probably disintegrating. What you're saying is interesting though. Maybe when I do the exhaust I'll just run it as normal and see how things go. Then I'll do this if I need to.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
It also appears that whippy is asking about the main sensors, where as kennys reply is about the post cats sensors.. or am I reading that wrong?

Negative, post-cat is where my problem is at. (I was replying to your first post while you posted this one.)

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Okay, I see lol I've been with out cats for 2.5 years now. Had 1 plug up in my first year of ownership and replaced them with sections of pipe. For a while my CEL was on but I recently fixed a bad exhaust leak and it turned itself off and hasn't come back for weeks

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
Okay, I see lol I've been with out cats for 2.5 years now. Had 1 plug up in my first year of ownership and replaced them with sections of pipe. For a while my CEL was on but I recently fixed a bad exhaust leak and it turned itself off and hasn't come back for weeks

It should come back on in 75-100mi so I'd say you're good. Thanks for the input.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's no "limp-mode" for anything related to post-cat codes. You can run it with no performance issues if you remove them, you'll just have a check engine light until you tune the sensors out.

@kennythewelder's method will certainly work, but it sure seems like a lot of effort to me just to eliminate the CEL. If you really want to delete your cats I'd just do it and have the sensors tuned out when it's convenient. PCM R&R takes literally 5 minutes on these trucks. The tune will make your truck a lot more fun to drive anyway, plus you'll have the option to do other cool stuff like disabling the evil that is PassLock. Just my two cents.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
There's no "limp-mode" for anything related to post-cat codes. You can run it with no performance issues if you remove them, you'll just have a check engine light until you tune the sensors out.

@kennythewelder's method will certainly work, but it sure seems like a lot of effort to me just to eliminate the CEL. If you really want to delete your cats I'd just do it and have the sensors tuned out when it's convenient. PCM R&R takes literally 5 minutes on these trucks. The tune will make your truck a lot more fun to drive anyway, plus you'll have the option to do other cool stuff like disabling the evil that is PassLock. Just my two cents.
I'll take the two cents. What are you thinking for a tune with the options you're talking about? I'm good with engines, not much on the computer side of things.

Sent from my bored/stroked iPhone 6S

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll take the two cents. What are you thinking for a tune with the options you're talking about? I'm good with engines, not much on the computer side of things.

Sent from my bored/stroked iPhone 6S

I strongly recommend Black Bear Performance. They offer mail order tunes for the factory black box PCMs in these trucks for $240, with free re-tunes for the life of the vehicle. They tuned my V6 truck for me and it make a world of difference in performance. I've taken them up on the free re-tunes a couple times as well to make adjustments, just had to pay shipping. Awesome people, very knowledgeable. If you like, you can pay a $75 core charge (IIRC) and keep your factory PCM as well. I did just in case I ever felt like swapping back to the OEM tune.