O2 sensor problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
my 98 k1500 with a 5.7 came factory with true duals and I installed the jegs cat delete y pipe and new upstream o2 sensors and 1 downstream.I didn't do the 2 downstream as it was after the pipe and stuck. After I finish I am now having a check engine light with the codes P0134 and P0154 which are no activity for the upstream O2 sensors. I hooked up my scan tool and checked the voltages and they are staying at 0.45 the ones that I replaced. the one that I left is fluctuating from .03-07. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I purchased a set of upstream and downstream from carparts.com and thought maybe the upstream are bad so ordered another set of upstream from them and it is still doing it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many parts I’d substitute with other brands but sensors I’d stick with Acdelco only. I have no experience with parts you bought, but I can’t tell how many times I’ve read where people end up with Acdelco resolving the issue.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ X2. For any sensors on these trucks I'd stick to GM OEM/ACDelco whenever possible.

I'd also check your wiring and connectors to make sure that nothing got pinched or damaged when you did the exhaust work.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd also check your wiring and connectors to make sure that nothing got pinched or damaged when you did the exhaust work.
^^ X2

Are they the correct sensors? Plugged right into the vehicle wire harness without trouble? Wires not melted from contact with the exhaust pipes?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you don't have catalytic converters installed, you will have a check engine warning. On a O2 sensor system with upstream and down stream sensors. The upstream is watching the mixture, like most have since beginning. The down stream , or after cat sensor is monitoring cat health. Tougher pollution laws. If delete the cats , they don't pass health check, constantly thinks cats are no good. Have you retuned pcm for removed cats?
Some vehicles are picky about brand. Some aftermarket are crap. I use NGK/ NTK they work.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you don't have catalytic converters installed, you will have a check engine warning....
Exactly my thought. You can't do a cat delete with stock sensors.
There is a cheap possible workaround... Go on Amazon or ebay and buy some "sparkplug defouler" spacers. Install these between the downstream sensors and the pipe. This moves the sensor element far enough out of the exhaust stream to fool the computer.
It's always a good practice to use ACDelco electronics in these vehicles, though I have had good luck with Bosch sensors for years.
Don't let anything touch the sensor element and contaminate it before install.