Rough Country winches?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I say do it. If it's something you're planning on using occasionally, and with a synthetic rope, you should be ok. A close friend of mine just bought a Warn a few weeks back- 8000# WITHOUT synthetic rope for around $500.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Another big plus for the RC is a wireless remote...I can easily be inside my vehicle while winching, much safer and super awesome if it is raining (storm clean up around here).

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Chris..........here's a site that might help you.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/winches/Winch-Tech.htm

Ahh that will, thanks!

I've seen the minimum 1.5x weight preferred 2x weight all over the place...my ECSB will probably be around 6500 lbs give or take a few hundred after the bumpers and winch itself. So 2x puts me at 13,000 already...a snatch block and the 12k gets me around 24k, so plenty there. I just feel like a 9500 (for 19k with a snatch block) wouldn't have the oomph at times for use WITHOUT a snatch block, and a single line pull could be required at times (never know how far a solid anchor point will be from you).

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Someone once told me you can never have a winch too big.

I remember reading an article on one of the orig. Big Foot trucks, that had a PTO winch mounted on the front. They asked Bob Chandler how much the winch would pull and he said "It'll put a freight train out of a lake of Elmer's Glue"!!!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Someone once told me you can never have a winch too big.

I remember reading an article on one of the orig. Big Foot trucks, that had a PTO winch mounted on the front. They asked Bob Chandler how much the winch would pull and he said "It'll put a freight train out of a lake of Elmer's Glue"!!!

Haha thats great.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
I saw something on TV this weekend about the synthetic ropes that said they are just as strong as steel and the best part is if they break they just drop, no recoil.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
i was once watching a jeep guy use three pullys/snatch blocks to ***** his CJ7 out of a hole. The ***** was plenty strong but the guy just said he used it that way as not to over work a ***** since he paid so much for it.... that being said, if you're worried about something wearing out from work.... i'd just use more than one snatch block and pully.... you'll use more line and you'll have to rig a few somehow, BUT, it cuts the work load of the *****.