Roller-cam Vortec 357 TBI build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of an engine build and thought I'd post up my progress so far.

My truck was gutless so I figured I'd build it while the trans was out. Upon disassembly I found out the previous rebuilder used #187 305 swirl port heads and mega-dish pistons for a pathetic 8.7:1 CR and choketastic valves. On the bright side though, the engine was very clean and the machine work was recent...the cylinders look fantastic. So it's a good starting point.

Since the block was roller-ready, I'm installing a stock Camaro LT1 cam that I got for free (203/[email protected], .447/.459, 117), Vortec heads, Edelbrock Performer intake and Keith Black 12cc pistons for 9.7:1 compression. I also did the Ultimate TBI mods and installing long tubes with a Catco converter. Figuring about 300hp@4500 and 400tq@2000 as an educated guess.

Between the extra power from the engine build and the extra gearing from the 4l60e to NV4500 swap it should feel like a whole new truck!

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

zayres29

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very nice I would like to start building an engine as well for my 91 soon

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Just curious, but did it ever cross your mind that the cam you chose may be a tad small? Ofcourse being free is very tempting also :)

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just curious, but did it ever cross your mind that the cam you chose may be a tad small? Ofcourse being free is very tempting also :)

It's quite a bit bigger than stock...by about 10deg and .060 lift. And it will keep the power right down low. Should be an off-idle monster.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have three Chevy 350s torn apart in your garage...you might be a redneck. haha

First set of Vortecs I got were cracked, so I grabbed another pair today and they look much better. After the hassle of pulling a junkyard engine out in a field they better be!

My garage looks like I'm a hoarder.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well, from one hoarder to another hoarder: "Atleast your's is nice 'n neat!" Mine hasn't seen a spring cleaning since spring....with my collective abilities, I needa cleaning for every season!

But I do like your shop though.....engines in the bare, mmmmmmm....like a teen in a tittie bar! HAHAHA :D

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Hate to burst your bubble, but you're looking at 250hp MAX out of that combination, and that's with a custom tune.

Now if you threw your stock fuel pump in the trash for a Walbro 255 and melted the stock throttle body down into a trinket in favor of a unit from a 94/95 7.4L, the stock injectors would be able to actually fuel the engine properly if you're well versed in tuning the later OBD1 systems. :read:

Last edited:

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hate to burst your bubble, but you're looking at 250hp MAX out of that combination, and that's with a custom tune.

Now if you threw your stock fuel pump in the trash for a Walbro 255 and melted the stock throttle body down into a trinket in favor of a unit from a 94/95 7.4L, the stock injectors would be able to actually fuel the engine properly if you're well versed in tuning the later OBD1 systems. :read:

I am upping the fuel pressure and tuning it with my Autoprom. I actually have a Walbro 255 sitting around waiting for my EFI conversion on the Camaro that I could use. From what I have read, the stock fuel injectors still work well up to about 25psi...which would be about double the lb/hr they are now. Granted I haven't actually done this yet, but I don't see it being a big problem and should be fine. I guess we shall see.

A stock Vortec 350 is rated at 255hp, and my engine will have more cam, more compression, headers and a more traditional intake. I know it will be over 250.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Have you gotten that modded tbi bench tested for airflow yet? The highest I've SEEN someone run those stock injectors were 18, so I wanna see this :) But yeah, your stock fuel pump will really need replaced, just for something a little more reliable at the psi you're wanting to run.

Oh, do you happen to have a spare camel hump head around that doesn't have a match? Need a 3rd Gen head, someone jacked one of them out of my shop the other day, so I'm left with one. Maybe i could build a HOT 4-cyl with it, lol.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damon over at NastyZ28 is pretty knowledgeable about early GM EFI and said there would be no problem with fuel supply from the stock injectors at a higher pressure. I'll probably keep the Walbro for the Camaro and just put a TPI pump in the truck.

One camel hump head will work fine for a boat anchor. Two would be overkill. haha