Rocker torque spec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody have the torque spec for the rocker arm nut on a 305? Noticed a few of them are loose when fixing the cover gasket. Don't have the book on me to look right now. Thanks

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Itis normal to have some loose like that. They do not get torque down to a spec. There is a procedure on how to set valves which involves turning the engine over and tightening down the rocker until the pushrod doesn't easily turn in your fingers. After that you turn the rocker arm nut another half a turn to put preload on the lifters.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I probably should have done more research before asking that question. I figured out the procedure though. I had one rocker that was way too loose and I'm assuming it's from the pushrod that was replaced years ago. I'm happy I messed with it though because not only did I learn something but I noticed that I have a few more pushrods that are slightly bent. Any suggestions on where to purchase them and/or what brand.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Any parts store should be able to get them.

Its easiest to set them with the engine running. Back the nut off until said valve starts rattling, then slowly tighten until it stops rattling, then 1/2 round more. It'll get it perfect every time.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any parts store should be able to get them.

Its easiest to set them with the engine running. Back the nut off until said valve starts rattling, then slowly tighten until it stops rattling, then 1/2 round more. It'll get it perfect every time.

That's the procedure I did so everything should be good now besides the rods. I'd prefer to just replace them all with something a little better than stock like hardened rods just to avoid issues in the future.