RockAuto Parts???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
UPDATE

Went with OEM. I managed to find a wrecker with a mint white door. I need to work on smoothing out the handle and lock mechanism a bit. Kind of rough compared the original.
You must be registered for see images attach

Old door

98GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WOW! That matches pretty good from a wrecker

Yeah it was a complete door minus the mirror and door panel. I had to remove some tar splatter on the rocker chrome but some GooGone made light work of it. I still need to get that chrome strip off somehow. I am a bit worried I will take off some paint. Anyone have any tips?????

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Yes, peeling that stainless trim off may take some paint with it, if it's not factory paint under it ... best you can hope for is minimal damage. Heat the strip up fairly warm evenly with a heat gun, this will soften the adhesive, you want the strip to be very warm, almost too hot to touch. ( 100F ~ )

If you can get a corner started with a stiff putty knife and a hammer... you should be able to peel off the whole strip in one go if it's warm enough. Clamp a pair of vise grips on it when you get it started and pull it off.

The adhesive is another issue. A rubber wheel designed to remove adhesive residue on a drill works wonders, you will also need to buy a can of 3M adhesive remover. ( comes in a large aerosol )

98GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, peeling that stainless trim off may take some paint with it, if it's not factory paint under it ... best you can hope for is minimal damage. Heat the strip up fairly warm evenly with a heat gun, this will soften the adhesive, you want the strip to be very warm, almost too hot to touch. ( 100F ~ )

If you can get a corner started with a stiff putty knife and a hammer... you should be able to peel off the whole strip in one go if it's warm enough. Clamp a pair of vise grips on it when you get it started and pull it off.

The adhesive is another issue. A rubber wheel designed to remove adhesive residue on a drill works wonders, you will also need to buy a can of 3M adhesive remover. ( comes in a large aerosol )

Awesome thanks. It is factory paint and the corner is already coming off a little so shouldn't be a problem getting a pair of vise-gripes on there. It doesn't seem to be factory trim so hopefully the adhesive used is sub-par.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
The adhesive will be 3M... it's going to be on there good if someone cleaned the paint properly before application.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
they are great to work with. I ordered some parts from 3 different vendors last week, Rock Auto was first to arrive

98GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got that one strip off with a heat gun while slowly pulling it off. They used the grey double sided stuff so I just applied some googone and scraped it off with a plastic scrapper. The rest came off with the googone and a rag.