Reverse Light Configurations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI: having additional/auxiliary lights (front or back) that are wired to come on when factory lights are on. Example: additional rear lights that come on when in reverse.
IS ILLEGAL

I'm sure we're all familiar with the term "for off road use only" and often laugh at it, but this is a prime example of when it matters.

Back to additional lights on rear example, they need to be on a dedicated switch so they can be DISABLED for when use "on road". If you have them hard wired to your reverse lights, you have no control of keeping them off when "on road".

If you have your lights hardwired this way, don't reverse out of a parking space if police are nearby.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love these lights

Auxbeam 2 Pcs 7.5" LED Light Bar 3D 36W Driving Light 3600lm CREE Flood beam 60 degree Waterproof for Off-road Car SUV Truck Pickup Ford F150 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T7IVLGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Vb4dzb5224H3V

I have them turned at ~45* angle to put the light where my mirrors are aimed so I can see what I'm turning into.

On a dedicated switch
You must be registered for see images attach

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would add that the switch to aux. rear lights should have an indicator light so you don't forget they are on. I have switched mine on when backing the trailer in at night then just shut down the truck, the next day I would never know they were still switched on without the indicator light.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
I use those cheap round rubber covered tractor lights , fused with a separate switch.

CoolDude1975

Reaction score
FYI: having additional/auxiliary lights (front or back) that are wired to come on when factory lights are on. Example: additional rear lights that come on when in reverse.
IS ILLEGAL

I'm sure we're all familiar with the term "for off road use only" and often laugh at it, but this is a prime example of when it matters.

Back to additional lights on rear example, they need to be on a dedicated switch so they can be DISABLED for when use "on road". If you have them hard wired to your reverse lights, you have no control of keeping them off when "on road".

If you have your lights hardwired this way, don't reverse out of a parking space if police are nearby.

Apparently you didn't read the thread very well because he said he has them wired to work both ways so it's OK to relax now.

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently you didn't read the thread very well because he said he has them wired to work both ways so it's OK to relax now.
I wasn't pointing fingers, it was merely a general statement in efforts to save anyone reading the hassle of dealing with a citation; but since you mention it...

OP quote:
"They come on when my truck is in reverse and my taillights are on via 2 relays or when activated by the switch in my overhead console as seen here."

Granted, the incorrect terminology can make it difficult to know what he means (taillight = dimly lit rear lights when parking lights or headlights are enabled. Think stop/turn/tail when referring to function of rear reds ).
I interpret this as hardwired to reverse lights via relays OR when activated by switch. So they can be used on demand independent of truck being in reverse, but that in no way allows them being turned off when in reverse.

Or am I missing something?

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually showed them to a couple of Police officers last night and they liked them, said nothing about being illegal. Must be like how spitting on the sidewalk is illegal or how **** sex is illegal still in some states. No one cares and having them wired to reverse and taillights pretty much eliminates the possibility of the lights coming on while in forward motion, ie.. driving down the road. I don't usually drive in reverse on the highway but if I did I would be glad I had the extra light so I could actually see! Lol. Thanks for the heads up EppNation and thanks for defending me CoolDude1975

Last edited:

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a quick question then EppNation, when the 7 way trailer plug is wired for reverse lights on a trailer that is auxiliary lighting, ie.. extra lights wired in so what would the law be with that? Just curious. My truck is also lifted without mud flaps so far which is also illegal, hell modifying or altering the height of a vehicle alone is illegal in some states. The bottom line is we all do the modifications that we do at our own risk which means if I get a citation for having modified my reverse light circut by adding auxiliary lights, well then I will maybe reconsider how they are wired. By the way how would the police know if they came on with reverse or with a switch? Just thinking out loud but with a switch lights can be left on while driving forward as mentioned above, and the more important law is that there shall be no rear ward facing white light while driving down a highway. Another quick question, those led tailgate strip with reverse lights have and additional wire to hook into reverse as well, I also have one of those, now they might say for off road use only, (I don't remember if they did or not) however we still them on trucks everywhere, so are all of these ttucks illegal as well? I personally appreciate anyone that has extra reverse lights as it reduces the chances that they might back over an animal or a child and people clearly know when you are reversing.

Last edited:

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as your lights go EppNation, I like them, I have my cubes turned at an angle also so I can better see out my side mirrors at night. My straight back lights are mostly for my backup camera and for hooking up to a trailer. Always nice having extra light when connecting to a trailer in the middle of the night!