Reverse Light Configurations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are mine, just finished wiring the cubes. They come on when my truck is in reverse and my taillights are on via 2 relays or when activated by the switch in my overhead console as seen here.
The 2 cubes are mounted to my rear shackle mounts via a bracket I made and welded on.
What do you guys have?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you that may be curious or who want to do a similar install, relay #1 pin 30 connected to taillights, pin 86 to ground, pin 85 to reverse lights, pin 87 goes to relay #2 pin 85. Relay #2 pin 85 is trigger input from relay 1 pin 87, pin 30 is 12v constant, pin 86 is ground and pin 87 is output to lights. I made this easy when I installed my new 7 way trailer connector I installed a 7 way trailer wiring junction box so future testing or wiring configurations can easily be changed and it is easy access to install relays.

Last edited:

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for fun here are my front lights, 4 hi headlight mod, hid low beam and hi beam, 18 watt led cubes and a 32" curved 420 watt led light bar behind the grille. The last picture is of the rear lights setup not illuminated, 2 thin 7 inch led lights and 2-18 watt cubes. And yes I upgraded my alternator to an AD244 145 amp, dual battery isolator, and I have dual batteries to support the accesories, upgraded the alternator charge cable to a 4 gauge, and 2/0 ground cable added a couple 1-1/2 inch ground straps.

Last edited:

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drilled out the bumper and welded some tubes in to mount mine. They are on a switch so I can launch and retrieve the boats at night.

Nice job, the lights look good mounted in the bumper like that. Nice smoothie bumper too! Is that emblem off of a 56 chevy? Nice looking truck Bob L

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
like your reverse lights but hate the fronts. i would throw rocks or ball bearings, whichever i could grab first, at you if i saw that coming towards me at night. better be glad you don't live in Texas.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
like your reverse lights but hate the fronts. i would throw rocks or ball bearings, whichever i could grab first, at you if i saw that coming towards me at night. better be glad you don't live in Texas.

I don't use all the front lights for street driving, they are for trails and wheeling. It is way too bright for the street and I wouldn't do that to another driver but when I am driving a dark trail at night it is nice to be able to see some distance ahead! I am sure you have trucks in Texas with more lights than mine even, as long as they are used off road people don't really notice them so much