Replacing power window components

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any write-ups or photos? My driver side is sh!tting the bed. Switch is fine, grinds and moves intermittently, finally got it all the way up before the rainy weekend, but haven't pulled the door panel yet. Admin, feel free to delete shortly after a few chime-in's if this is redundant. Thanks guys!!!

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
you have to pull out all the screws and then i think the only way to do it is to pull up and out on that inner door panel and take the whole window out. i havent done mine yet. im scared to .

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
What exactly is wrong? Window motor?

Pull out on the inner panel at one of the corners at the bottom to remove plastic clips and work your way up until its free. Pop the switch bezel out of the panel and disconnect all harnesses. Remove the triangle panel at the top, and remove inner panel completely. Remove all screws and one bolt holding metal panel onto the door. At this time take all the harnesses and feed them through the opening at the front of the panel. Then tilt the panel towards you and disconnect the power door lock actuator clip along with the power window clip and speaker clip as well.

Slide the panel towards the front of the truck to remove the front roller for the window track. Once its free tilt the panel vertical to clear room and slide the other roller out of the track. Now the panel can be removed.

This is all done with the window in the down position. Won't work with it up

Sent from my DEERE powered Droid

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a '97, see avatar. The switch and motor seem fine, but the window stutters as it moves up or down and it sounds like gears eating eachother.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If your window won't go down, as soon as you remove that inner panel, and when the window comes off the rollers, if it's not stuck in the channel, it will drop. Hard!
Take some 2" masking tape & stick it to the window from just above the door panel on the inside, up & over the door frame, down to just above the outer door skin. Make sure that the tape us stuck really good. Run 3 or 4 strips of tape & that'll hold it up while you work in there.

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone converted manual to power windows and locks? I've been wanting to pretty much since I bought the truck. Is there a kit I can buy or do I have to piece it together?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Has anyone converted manual to power windows and locks? I've been wanting to pretty much since I bought the truck. Is there a kit I can buy or do I have to piece it together?

You can get motors & harness, etc., inside the doors from the wreckers. That stuff is pretty common. '95-'98 require the specific door panels. Sometimes it's easier to just swap the whole complete doors. 4door trucks use the same front doors as all the others.
The hard part is getting the factory harness. It's way up underneath the dash. The harness is one of the first things installed by the factory, & requires the dash to be pulled from the donor vehicle in order to get that.
It can & has been done!

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn that sounds like a a lot of work! I have the 88-94 interior!