Replacing o2 sensors ... wide range in $$$, worth paying up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DOGFACE

Reaction score
I am installing a new exhaust in a 1997 Tahoe with 350. I plan to replace the o2 sensors while I am at it... I see that there is wide range of cost for the sensors.

Sometimes cheap = garbage, sometimes the same auto parts come out of the same factory, in different boxes.

In regad to the o2 sensors, does it matter whether I spend less than $100 for four, or $50+ a piece for name brand sensors?

Thank you.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am installing a new exhaust in a 1997 Tahoe with 350. I plan to replace the o2 sensors while I am at it... I see that there is wide range of cost for the sensors.

Sometimes cheap = garbage, sometimes the same auto parts come out of the same factory, in different boxes.

In regad to the o2 sensors, does it matter whether I spend less than $100 for four, or $50+ a piece for name brand sensors?

Thank you.

If you plan to keep the vehicle a long time, 5yr+ I would find something at the local shop with a lifetime warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Thank you.

Just get the AC Delcos from Rock Auto. They were about $30 each last I bought them for my Express van. Sometimes factory parts are very affordible. They come with anti-seize applied on the threads already even.
AFS105 x 2
AFS106 x 2

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I grabbed the Bosch sensors from Rock Auto. Been very happy with them. Definitely better quality than the OEM units, especially the wires and insulation. I expect them to last for years. Like OEM, they even included anti-seize on the threads.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '97 K2500 is in the process of getting new cat-back exhaust; I also replaced all four O2 sensors.

I bought Densos. Anti-seize is included, but not pre-applied. Comes in a little plastic packet.

Had to torch three out of four sensors with oxy-acetylene to get them to turn. Only one screwed out without heat. All four sensors damaged the female threads, so I had to restore the threads before I could put new sensors back in.

Good luck. It wasn't fun for me.

P.S. I used Lisle 12230 O2 sensor thread chaser, and a Vermont American 21164 18mm X 1.5 tap to restore the threads. I would not buy the Vermont American tap again--I'd buy a better brand, and I'd buy a starting (also called "taper") tap not a plug tap. The VA tap is Chinese, has little taper, and NO MARKINGS so once it's out of the package, you've got no idea what size it is. Junk. The Lisle thread chaser was a blessing--There was no room to use the tap in the Right Front O2 sensor location. The Lisle thread chaser is very short.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Slight hijack,

AFS105 x 2
AFS106 x 2

which one is upstream?

thx.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I found out a while ago that if you ask for the vehicle specific one at a parts store then ask for the universal one to look at back-to-back, it is the exact same thing except the universal one is cheaper and with a longer cord that you'll have to zip tie to something. This is the same for all brands, Bosch, ACDelco, no-name, etc.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I too just installed my upstream pair on my 2000 K3500. Even though the truck lived in the country and is a bit "rusty" relative to a city truck, I did not have too bad of a job to remove them. I bought the Lisle 12390 wrench and 12230 thread chaser. Both worked flawlessly. I used a 1/2" drive x 18" breaker bar.

I bought Densos at RockAuto. Very good price. I just ordered the downstream pair.

BTW, the warranty on these is only 1 or 2 years, even at the local auto parts store.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I too just installed my upstream pair on my 2000 K3500. Even though the truck lived in the country and is a bit "rusty" relative to a city truck, I did not have too bad of a job to remove them. I bought the Lisle 12390 wrench and 12230 thread chaser. Both worked flawlessly. I used a 1/2" drive x 18" breaker bar.

I bought Densos at RockAuto. Very good price. I just ordered the downstream pair.

BTW, the warranty on these is only 1 or 2 years, even at the local auto parts store.