replacing master cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcloud

BaLlIn On A BuDgEt
Reaction score
I can see that my master cylinder is leaking to where it is bolted against the brake booster and is also leaking where the little plastic resivor is resting on the actually metal cylinder...how hard is it to replace? My brakes work and stops my truck but the pedal can keep going plus my inspection expires tomm so I need to hurry up and get these brakes working again

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not hard to do at all, pull the brake lines loose from the M.C., remove the 2 15mm nut's that hold the M.C. on the the vacume booster, remove old M.C. and install the new M.C. but don't hook up the lines yet. Your replacement M.C. should come with with bench bleeder line plug's, thread the plug's in to the port's on the M.C. and then fill the M.C. with brake fluid, if you can have an assitant then watch the M.C. while you gently pump your brake pedal to bleed the air out of the M.C. you will know when you don't see any more bubbles coming up in the brake fluid. Next remove the plastic bleeder plugs and reinstall the brake lines quickly so that you don't loose a lot of brake fluid in the process. Then you need to bleed your brakes starting with the wheel furthest away and work your way to the closest wheel and then your done. I realize that are many way's of bench bleeding a master cylinder, the way I mentioned is how I do it and it work's I have done it for 20 year's.