Replacement Oil Gauge Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graggk

Reaction score
So, I'm needing to install an aftermarket set of gauges because my factory ones are just not really working any more.

Questions are:
1. Is there just the one oil pressure sensor (switch)?
2. If there is just one, is it safe to remove it in lieu of the new one for the new gauges?
3. Is there another location I could put it?

And lastly, I know there are 2 temperature sensor (switch) things... which one do I replace for the replacement gauge? There's the one by the goose neck and one between plugs 1 and 3.

Graggk

Reaction score
You know, it just dawned on me I didn't put what this was on...

1989 K1500 5.7 Silverado...

Thanks in advance.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1) yes
2) Oil pressure switch is also wired to the fuel pump relay, so gotta make sure the replacement is compatible
3) Not sure, but you'd need to wire from the original harness to make sure fuel pump is connected.

On my '90 the sensor between 1-3 is the knock sensor. Only one coolant temp sensor on the front of the intake as far as I know.

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Temp on driver side head is strictly for the gauge. You can buy a T adapter for the rear of block where the oil pressure switch is and use that for the OEM switch and the gauge you want to add.

Reaction score
The temp sensor on the intake is for the computer, the one between 1 & 3 is where my aftermarket gauge is connected using the aftermarket sender.
The Knock Sensor is on the right (passenger) side of the block.
The Oil Pressure sender at the rear of the block behind the distributor is required for the fuel pump. I can't off the top of my head recall if there is another spot where an oil pressure sender can be installed but I suspect that there is.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The temp sensor on the intake is for the computer, the one between 1 & 3 is where my aftermarket gauge is connected using the aftermarket sender.
The Knock Sensor is on the right (passenger) side of the block.
The Oil Pressure sender at the rear of the block behind the distributor is required for the fuel pump. I can't off the top of my head recall if there is another spot where an oil pressure sender can be installed but I suspect that there is.
Above the oil filter mounting there is a plug that you can remove to get oil pressure. I know the 3rd gen f-bodys with tbi had there Oil pressure sensors there. With out looking I don't know how hard it would be to get to the plug. I do know it was a PITA on a f-body