Repairing ac system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zack8

Reaction score
Hey guys, So I’m trying to get the ac working on my 98 k2500 starting with replacing condenser because it has a whole In it. My main question is should I replace the compressor aswell it appears to be fine no leaks clutch still engages.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Why are you replacing the condenser? If is a crack in it, I see some of your reasoning. If is clogged, the debris probably came from the compressor. If you do open the system, you should replace the accumulator and orifice and flush the system out. Especially flush it out if there is debris in the system/condenser.

Last edited:

Zack8

Reaction score
Why are you replacing the condenser? If is a crack in it, I see some of your reasoning. If is clogged, the debris probably came from the compressor. If you do open the system, you should replace the accumulator and orifice and flush the system out. Especially flush it out if there is debris in the system/condenser.
No it doesn’t have a crack in it. It just has a decent size hole in it. while the truck was sitting up north at the cabin a bullet ricocheted Off a tree and went thru the ac condenser and the radiator. I replaced the radiator awhile ago just haven’t messed with the condenser. I was going to replace the accumulator just for how long the system has been open. I don’t believe there’s any debris cause the compressor is fine.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Guarantee you, if that system has not been open and flushed for years, it has some debris in it, even if compressor is working correctly. The orifice like has debris trapped in it.

When back together, DO NOT follow gravel trucks, any more.

Zack8

Reaction score
Guarantee you, if that system has not been open and flushed for years, it has some debris in it, even if compressor is working correctly. The orifice like has debris trapped in it.

Okay thank you for that information. I’ll definitely probably flush it from the years it’s been open like you were saying.

Zack8

Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

Hey quick question this is one of my lines coming from the compressor to the accumulator do you know why the oil would have a orange tint too it

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is refrigerant oil. You will need to add oil back when you reseal the system. Can pour it in the accumulator, that you should also be replacing. You will have a certain amount of oil sitting in the bottom of the compressor. If you remove the compressor and dump oil out you can measure in ounces. You need to look up what the entire system holds, so you can add new accordingly.