Refurbishing Throttle Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the Vortec 5.7L (L31), what all would be involved in refurbishing the throttle body to a like new condition? I can replace the sensors. I can spray it thoroughly with throttle body cleaner. I am looking at some photos online, and there appears to be a bearing that the butterfly throttle shaft rides on. Then there's the throttle plate spring. Is it possible to replace the spring and bearing? Is it worth trying to refurbish it? New throttle bodies are apparently hard to source, but I do see some on eBay for $300. I think that's a bit much for a throttle body though if it can be refurbished without much difficulty.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the spring still returns the pedal when you let off, the spring is fine. Haven't really heard of them going bad.

The throttle shaft bushings do go bad, after a LOT of miles. I have yet to see anyone re-bushing a Vortec throttle body, though it has been done to a number of TBI-era throttle bodies.

If you're doubting your throttle shaft bushings, they're pretty easy to check. Give the linkage arm a shove in directions NOT related to it opening/closing. In other words, shove it forwards towards the front of the truck, then towards the firewall, up towards the hood, down towards the intake. If you can make an otherwise steady idle change noticeably while you are 100% certain you did not rotate the throttle in its normal direction of movement, then you can suspect the shaft bushings.

Richard