RedHead Steeering Gears.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went with Red Head, 1500 miles later and very happy. Truck drives great.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Or grab a service manual, and perform BOTH adjustments to the existing box.

(Nobody ever adjusts the box at the provision near the rag joint. All they ever dick with is the screw on the top cover, and that's wrong.)
100% take the time and do this. I know that top one is tempting, but put some time and effort in and do it correctly.

lxe4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to tighten the input side adjustment, couldnt get it to budge with my couple macgyver moves to grip it. Did the top adjustment, made a big difference but waiting for a rag joint in the mail

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or grab a service manual, and perform BOTH adjustments to the existing box.

(Nobody ever adjusts the box at the provision near the rag joint. All they ever dick with is the screw on the top cover, and that's wrong.)

Shurkey,
I have indeed adjusted a reman gear--and I was shown how by a alignment guy. Don't know if a I did it perfectly, but it felt good (but not as good as the original gear)--for about 5k miles. When I tried adjusting a second time it didn't help it much. Later I learned this seem to be the norm with the $150 reman steering gears when adjusted.

I just bit the bullet and ordered a new BBB-Vision steering gear from RockAuto. I shall report back in the future........

Reaction score
So I did a lot of research when I purchased my steering box and pump because I had the EVO style pump and box. Here is what I found.

Bluetop guy used to work for Redtop guy. Talking to both of them they basically offered the same thing and almost the same conversation. Upgrades with the needle bearing and fitting the worm gear with larger bearings seemed to be standard. The only advantage between the 2 I found is Redtop was further way from me for shipping

I ended up with AGR for a couple reasons. I spoke with BigJohn there and he really gave me a TON of information and I also wanted a pump so since AGR was the only one that also had pumps that seemed like a no brainer. They also had a 2 year warranty instead of the 90 day warranty. BigJohn told me that every saginaw gearbox he has ever seen even back in the late 60's had a bearing, not a bushing but it seemed like redtop and blue top both presented it as an upgrade. AGR adds 2 bearings and 2 seals to the shaft. He also said that fitting the worm gear with tighter ball bearings is just part of a standard rebuild but he polishes the shaft to use larger than factory balls and he gave me a more modern valve so it feels like the Denali steering. AGR had my box in stock and did not require a core. I was blown away

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bit the bullet and ordered a new BBB-Vision steering gear from RockAuto. I shall report back in the future........
Yes, please!

I never heard of BBB-Vision until this thread. I don't know a thing about them. My concern with "new" parts is that they're probably Made-In-China junk like the "new" alternators and "new" starters and "new" distributors and "new" exhaust manifolds and "new" water pumps.

I'd rather have "good used" Delco products or properly-rebuilt/remanufactured Delco, than brand-new Chinese crap.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Redhead can kiss my ass!
I bought a box from them and it wasn't right. They required my to have it checked at a shop before they would warranty it. Then they screwed up the core charge and over 3 years later they still tried to bill me for the core on the second unit and the never refunded me for the original core.
Once again, Redhead can kiss my ass!

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
BigJohn told me that every saginaw gearbox he has ever seen even back in the late 60's had a bearing, not a bushing .........

He's right. After I had a seal leak at the pitman arm drive on the original saginaw, and after doing the research you all did and the prices, I bought an edelman rebuild kit, got the saginaw manual, and tore down the gear at the bench and rebuilt it. There's no bushings, it's needle bearings.

If you look at the rebuild kit you can see the two bearings that one goes in the sector housing and the other larger at the output end of the sector to the pitman arm.
https://www.amazon.com/Edelmann-785...teering&qid=1563361483&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Last edited:

fouledout443

Reaction score
I've got about 15k miles or so on my red head box, I bought the quick ratio option. After the install I added a jeep steering shaft to eliminate the rag joint. All in all...its a great improvement and I always feel like it drives pretty decent until I get into one of my newer vehicles..ugh

Here's the truck..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media