REBUILDING TIPS ANYONE PLEASE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

naphidim

Reaction score
gonna start rebuilding my 1990 cheyv 262 v6 4.3 engine soon, in about 2 wks actually, and was wondering if when i break it down to the core should i just have it hot tanked to clean it and thats all or anything else i should have the machine shop do while its there?

But i'm not looking to spend more than maybe 400$ at the shop all together.(If i absolutely have to pay more for ABSOLUTE NESSACARY work i will tho)

Also The Rebuild kit i'm getting is the "Sealed Power MHP121-000 - Federal Mogul Premium Engine Rebuild Kits" from summitracing, and was also wondering if i'm going to have to check any of the clearances for the pistons, i plan on just getting new stock connecting rods anyways, thanx guys

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
IMHO if you're going to go through the trouble of rebuilding a motor from the block up then do it to something a little more worthwhile. I'd look for a decent 350 TBI from a junkyard and start there.

naphidim

Reaction score
reason i don't want to part with it is cuz i know this engine was treated nicely, it was my dads and he was the only owner of it he took good care of it but now its mine and i just wanted to rebuild it, it holds some sentimental value to me, and i don't really want something to race or anything just trying to make it a nice daily driver so keeping it v6 don't bother me none, to go to work, etc...... but its my first rebuild so i NEED ANY AND ALL TIPS THANX

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
What is your reason behind rebuilding it? Was there a problem with it?

Honestly, $400 would barely be enough to freshen up the heads and get a new gasket set for it. You can forget touching the bottom end and any machine shop work.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sentimental value? imho if it has sentimental value you could always keep the motor and build an engine table with it and find a tbi 350 and put it in the truck thats a win win imo. bc if you make it as a table you will always have it. but if u put it in the truck and some kid runs into you or something and totals the truck (god forbid) then ur s-o-l ( **** outta luck)

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Yeah, no way you're going to get an engine rebuilt for $400. Not to be discouraging but I really would strongly recommend against it. If it was treated nicely and there are no problems, run it.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sentiment? I have been driving my 95 for nearly 15 years. It was my first truck. I have no qualms with yanking the 305 that is in it right now and putting in the MPFI 406 that is sitting in my garage. Seriously, even if you rebuild a stock 350, the truck will drive so much better and most likely get better mileage too.

That aside, the questions you are asking tell me that you are not ready to perform an overhaul. I suggest you go to amazon and purchase an actual book that documents and explains with photos what you need to do. This is one of those things that will take time to get ready for.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Why rebuild it if it's treated nicely go to the junkyard amd spend your money on a 350 or two. Take them apart out them back together over and over read a book with specs and tips and get acquainted with building a motor. 400 bucks you can buy the rebuild kit and maybe yourrods. But ou have to do machine work etc etc.theres much more cost than one thinks