rebuilding 350 advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have started picking up parts for my 350 and 4L60E rebuild. I got the 4L60E rebuild kit on the way from Oregon transmission. So now I am working on the 350.

I ordered some 062 vortec heads, and I am looking for a decent cam (roller). I am assuming I have roller rocker arms - but will verify this weekend. I drive the truck daily, and looking for it to have a little bit more power. Anywhere from 300-400hp would be nice. I tow occasionally but not a lot. Anyone have any recommendations on other parts? I would like to keep the engine the 350 size, not boring it out or anything. There are no machine shops local to me that does the work so I would have to ship it out. I don't really have a budget, but would like to done by August or September, so I guess budget is around $1000+/-. I can tune the new setup myself so that saves some cash, (may need to get some help from thirdgen depending on the final outcome of the build).

Well here are my parts list so far; let me know of some upgrades -

'94 350 TBI Block
Vortec 062 heads (rebuilt already)
vortec dual plane carb intake
carb to tbi adapter
350 rebuild kit (including new std pistons, and a stock cam which I won't use)

Potential parts are -
1.6 roller rocker arms (if engine accepts rollers)
cam (need recommendations)
7qt oil pan
high volume oil pump
valve covers - should I go with stock height, or tall ones?

This is my first time rebuilding a 350, I have rebuilt smaller 4cylinder engines. So I am in need of a little help with part selections.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tbi is not set up for roller nore does it have the machined threads for the roller lifter keepers so they dont spin. i have seen some roller lifters with a cross bar that go from the intake and exhaust lifter for each cylinder. if your going roller your looking at about a grand in just that. they ain't cheap! How many miles are in this tbi motor? In the rebuild kit are they factory pistons or are they performance based?

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now that i think of it i did a head gasket on my buddies camaro a while back and it has roller lifters. some bolcks may have the three threaded holes in the valley under the intake but just no equipped with roller. I believe a lot of cars were though.

Last edited:

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should have a roller cam in that truck, SBCs 87-98 were rollers. I believe that the arms, if stock, don't have rollers on them though.

If you are not looking to have the block cleaned up I'd start off with a compression and leak down test to see where you sit. Summit sells a block, already bored 30 over, clearanced for a longer stroke, checked for cracks, etc., for about $600. In your build you'd just need new pistons, rings and bearings and be well on your way with a good block. That might save you time, frustration, and maybe money.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should have a roller cam in that truck, SBCs 87-98 were rollers. I believe that the arms, if stock, don't have rollers on them though.

If you are not looking to have the block cleaned up I'd start off with a compression and leak down test to see where you sit. Summit sells a block, already bored 30 over, clearanced for a longer stroke, checked for cracks, etc., for about $600. In your build you'd just need new pistons, rings and bearings and be well on your way with a good block. That might save you time, frustration, and maybe money.

I have done a compression test - all is well there. The block ran really great in the truck (stock block), only reason I am rebuilding is I am pulling it out the transmission to rebuild. Figured might as well pull the engine and do that as well since July 2013 I will be using it to move from Vermont to Florida in.

For the pistons, is there any special pistons that will help with more power - dished vs flat. I know with turbo applications (ive got experience with 4cylinder turbo engines), you want dished pistons as they lower compression. What is a good compression for a street-able 350?

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a SBC so you have tons of choices when it comes to pistons. You really have to sit down and do some research. Summit has a good compression calculator that takes a lot of things into consideration.

Compression question is hard to answer, I've heard that 10-11 being street able on 93 octane with a good tune. TBI's ECU is not as robust as the 411 so you have to consider that too. More compression than stock can be done easily but you really have to figure what you exact end point is with the cash you have. If you want a good reliable operator that runs on 87 octane I'd stay conservative with my power goals and build for reliability first, power second.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a SBC so you have tons of choices when it comes to pistons. You really have to sit down and do some research. Summit has a good compression calculator that takes a lot of things into consideration.

Compression question is hard to answer, I've heard that 10-11 being street able on 93 octane with a good tune. TBI's ECU is not as robust as the 411 so you have to consider that too. More compression than stock can be done easily but you really have to figure what you exact end point is with the cash you have. If you want a good reliable operator that runs on 87 octane I'd stay conservative with my power goals and build for reliability first, power second.

Thanks - I will check summit and see what best suits me. I would like to stay with something reliable and on 87. I am guessing stock pistons are just fine then :)

93Lee

Reaction score

The '87-95 sbc trucks were not roller motors. They were hydraulic flat tappet cams. The vortec motors 96-98,99 were roller motors. In the cars they may have been different, but not in the trucks.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
87-95 truck tbi motor's are machined and have the bosses for the roller lifter hold down's but most aren't drilled and taped, but it doesn't take much to make them that way, and yes only the car TBI motor's have a roller cam.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks - I will check summit and see what best suits me. I would like to stay with something reliable and on 87. I am guessing stock pistons are just fine then :)

If you are not going to touch your short block, you should be able to get some very nice gains from vortec heads, roller cam, a good flowing manifold, and a tune. Let us know how it goes.

The '87-95 sbc trucks were not roller motors. They were hydraulic flat tappet cams. The vortec motors 96-98,99 were roller motors. In the cars they may have been different, but not in the trucks.

Yeah, I was not sure about those TBI motors. I've got a 96 and am a lot better versed in it. I went off what Comp Cams had on their website, rollers were in Gen I SBC from 86-99.