Rebuild or Reman. CV Axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi,

After starting my whole front suspension rebuild, I noticed that the boot is a bit torn on the driver side cv axle. Since everything is apart, I'd like to take care of this. So, should I rebuild my CV axle with a new boot, or just buy a remanufactured one? The rip is not that big, around the base of the inner shaft and there is no clicking from the axle, or anything indicating that it's bad, and I believe it still has it's grease intact. I do believe that the axle is original...250,000 miles and 16 years on the truck. Difference in rebuild versus remanufactured one is about $40. If I were to rebuild, how much of a pain is it?

Thanks,
D

97__Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely get the Reman. I did the same thing by taking the CV shaft apart and replacing the boot. It didn't last but about two months and the shaft went bad. Also you'll have everything apart so you might as well get a Reman. I know around here you can buy a new one from O'reilly's for the same price as a reman.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great, thanks. I remember I tried rebuilding one, from a Honda, years ago and it being a serious pain in the ass.

Only thing that I see that is not the same between the axle I got and the reman is the neck, just past the splines that mates up into the hub...the neck on the one I have is bigger I think, without a 45 degree chamfer on on the next step, just a 90% one. Did GM ever change the CV?

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Yeah I had the same dilemma for a few seconds when doing my lift kit (didn't see the tear until we had it off), and it only took a few glances to convince me to get a reman shaft instead of attempting replacement myself...looked like a huge PITA.