rebuild or crate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingSize

Reaction score
need some advice guys. got an estimate from a local performance shop of $1850 to totally rebuild my tranny. first of all does this seem like a high estimate or no? also, would it not be a better choice just to get a crate tranny? if I was to throw a totally new tranny in there what does you guys think about TCI and B&M? Thanks guys.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would help if you fill out your signature or specify what trans you have.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
first of all does this seem like a high estimate or no?

Depends on what transmission, as stated. For a 4L60E, in my opinion that's not too bad if your builder is using nice internals. My 4L60E build cost me a shade over $2K including removal and installation, but I specified lots of parts and it ended up being a fairly high-end build.

also, would it not be a better choice just to get a crate tranny? if I was to throw a totally new tranny in there what does you guys think about TCI and B&M?

There was another thread about this recently. IMO, you're better off just finding a reputable builder. Then you can talk to them and have them build you exactly what you want, most of the time for much less money than buying new.