Rear sway bars (anti roll bars) what got them and what didn't?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Following on from this issue being raised on the 'What did you do to your GMT400 today?' thread - which trucks got rear sway bars (ARBs this side of the pond) and didn't - and why?

So far it seems that most Suburbans got them (but not my C2500 and another member's C1500) and I can see why they would - heavier at the rear and that weight higher up - than with a pick up. Theoretically a rear bar should permit softer main springs (to the benefit of passenger comfort) another reason to fit them to a longroof at the rear.

Did the Ks get them - 4WD can better spread its roll stiffness as it has an inherent traction advantage (that a sway bar on a driven axle compromises)? Or not fitted to a K so as not to compromise traction where it was denoted a pre-requisite by the customer by choosing 4WD?

On trucks that didn't get a rear bar - do they have a stiffer front bar or otherwise different springs rates front and back (or both)?
Were they in all cases an option - or some rolled off the line with them as standard? (Seems odd to me that only some axles have the required brackets - kinda says the decision to fit or not fit was made quite early on the production line).

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Re above carried over post. EtA - did you have to drill the damper mounts on the axle for the clamps or were there holes there already?