rear suspension favortism

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
so whats everyones idea of the best out of the following for a 97 ecsb z71 with a pro comp 6"?

i have a set of 4" blocks that came with the lift i bought but no u bolts, this set up will only be on my truck for a couple years till i go solid front. ill be running 35x12.5r15 mud kings for the time.

1- buy u bolts for the 4" blocks for 40 bucks at local parts store and add a leaf in spring for wheelin

2- buy 5.5" blocks for 120 bucks

3 buy shackle flip for 200

i really wanna just go with the u bolts for now, what do yall think? is that a horrible idea?

i dont know about ride quality of shackle flips...

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I paid 12 bucks a bolt for my U bolts, I didn't get the square ones, I got the rounded ones, everything is fine. They are Grade 8 Bolts, got them for 2" Blocks but they would work for 3", my friend actually got the same bolts and he cut some of the threads off, If there's a different in price, I'd go with one set for a 3" block if it's cheaper.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
I paid 12 bucks a bolt for my U bolts, I didn't get the square ones, I got the rounded ones, everything is fine. They are Grade 8 Bolts, got them for 2" Blocks but they would work for 3", my friend actually got the same bolts and he cut some of the threads off, If there's a different in price, I'd go with one set for a 3" block if it's cheaper.

well theyre grade 5 bolts and theyre the correct square style, so all should be good, i have the 4" angle cut blocks that came with my lift, so hopefully all is good. hoping that brake lines and all else will have enough slack? ( i did a 8" on my buddies 00 f250 stroke and hes runnin stock brake lines and **** still and even muddin it, it works alright) its really cold and aint had the time to take it to the garagemahall to look yet, but i think im gonna tackle it tomorrow. anyone know the estimated time for a 6" lift ??

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should have enough slack, just keep an eye on the flex hose for the brakes and vent hose for the diff. My stock ones were fine with my 5.5" block, which I would never recomend. Once I get money saved up I'll do a shackle flip.
Took pretty well a full weekend to do my superlift, first lift kit ever installed.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
You should have enough slack, just keep an eye on the flex hose for the brakes and vent hose for the diff. My stock ones were fine with my 5.5" block, which I would never recomend. Once I get money saved up I'll do a shackle flip.
Took pretty well a full weekend to do my superlift, first lift kit ever installed.

well i started around 4 pm today, and stopped now at 7pm, and i have the rear done, and the front torn apart, waiting till morning to grind off the bump stops and such...

the torsion bars, getting them unloaded, was the easiest thing ever, but is it easier to pull the bars out the lower arm or the key?

so drilling frame and grinding frame tomorrow, and assembling everything, will post pics.

anyone know of anyone sellin any TB relocators?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was just doing some research on shackle flips and I see these are on sale until 1/2/11...do you use your stock shackle with this bracket to get 4" rear lift? am i understanding this right?
http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm
Yes you do use your stock shackle. They also have the 1" zero rates on sale too, I think the the shackle flip is normally $168. While at it might as well do the U-bolt flip!!

well i started around 4 pm today, and stopped now at 7pm, and i have the rear done, and the front torn apart, waiting till morning to grind off the bump stops and such...

the torsion bars, getting them unloaded, was the easiest thing ever, but is it easier to pull the bars out the lower arm or the key?

so drilling frame and grinding frame tomorrow, and assembling everything, will post pics.

anyone know of anyone sellin any TB relocators?

If you aren't adding the TB relocators now just leave the torsion bars in the control arms and unbolt the TC crossmember and beat it (and the key) back off the bars.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
If you aren't adding the TB relocators now just leave the torsion bars in the control arms and unbolt the TC crossmember and beat it (and the key) back off the bars.[/QUOTE]

yeah them didnt wanna come off, frozen on to the point that i decided it was easier to pull the trans crossmember, still grinding off bump stops this morning, and then going to hardware store. then pulling differential and starting the installation process.