Rear Gear oil recomended??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I had a paper telling me what oil/lube to use when I had my Eaton locking rear put in but since then lost it. I know there is an additive that is recomended but not sure what it is. So my question is what lube should I use with what additive?? I have a 10 bolt rear and will be doing this along with my brake job, lots of things to do at once..fun times

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is it a rpo g80 eaton locker? if so this is a gm service bulletin on those rears "The use of any additive in locking rear axles (G80) is not recommended. Rear axle additives are designed for use in limited slip differentials which are normally installed in cars. All light duty trucks equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential and the use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life". also 80 90w gear oil is what you need

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is it a rpo g80 eaton locker? if so this is a gm service bulletin on those rears "The use of any additive in locking rear axles (G80) is not recommended. Rear axle additives are designed for use in limited slip differentials which are normally installed in cars. All light duty trucks equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential and the use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life". also 80 90w gear oil is what you need

Wow, not sure..I am at work and was going to pick up some lube on the way home. When it was installed at least 5yrs ago by a friend who had a shop at the time would have told me if was a problem putting it in I HOPE. I lost a lot of paper work when we had Hurricane Irene so I dont remember what model it is...ughhh
What I can say it has worked Flawlessly since put in.

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a gm factory locker with 300k miles on it...it has had trans-x limited slip additive since the day i got it...my mechanic friend says that even if it doesnt need it...that it shouldnt hurt it...Id stick it in and be safe rather than sorry..just my .02

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a gm factory locker with 300k miles on it...it has had trans-x limited slip additive since the day i got it...my mechanic friend says that even if it doesnt need it...that it shouldnt hurt it...Id stick it in and be safe rather than sorry..just my .02

Thanks, what lube do you use with it??

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just regular 80 90w....we have it at my job by the 5 gallon bucket..this last time I used close to 4 quarts with this damn mag hytec cover haha

Nice.. I just read the Eaton PDF, and it says use an Additive for the rear and recomended fluid for your truck. Did not mention any type to use..dam.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
are you worried about the brand of additive?

Yes I just dont want to mess anything up. I have not changed the fluid since it was put in and my Diff cover has a wet spot so I am changing it out along with the fluid. Just want to use the right stuff not worried about brand name though I dont want to use crappy stuff either.lol

gmcierra

Reaction score
The additive is just "friction modifier". You only need to use it on limited slip differentials with clutch packs. The G80 uses a cam to lock the axles together (no fricken modifier required).
Friction modifier is available from your local GM dealer, the blue oval store has it too.
Good luck.