Rear disc brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Now I know a lot of you's use the Cadillac or impala brakes... but what about..... lets go over to the dark side... Jeep brakes? the newer SRT8 brakes would be big brake, probably bigger brakes then the caddi or impala, or even the caliper, could be a nice caliper? How realistic would this be? my only concern is, probably wouldn't fit under my stock 15 inch wheel.. And the bracket, I could always go ahead and get one fabbed?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
http://www.friendlychopshop.com/parts.html

complete kit, totally bolt-on.. this is what i'm getting in the spring.

Quick math in my head = $367.00 less than SSBC`s! And that`s including the S`d & D`d rotors from the ChopShop!
I know that there are guys here that have done them cheaper outa junk yard parts, but many do not have an E-brake. With a stickshift, I require that!
Besides, when it comes to brakes, I don't know if I'd be too sure about something that's a bit of a mish-mash cobbled together outa parts that were never meant to work together. Rather install something that has had a bit of R&D involved to make damn sure that this stuff works as it should!
There was a shop outa the PNW (Portland?) that was manufacturing a kit for our trucks, with an E-brake, for around the $450.00 range. Had an upgrade option for drilled & slotted rotors. They were using all GM parts. I just can't remember what the Co.'s name is. They were selling on Ebay, but I can't find anything that they have listed recently.

SSBC is the only Co. out there that manufactures a specific caliper for GMT400 rear disc conversions. It matches the front calipers that they make for our trucks.
Most, if not all, use a Camaro caliper for their kits. So, you get this really techy looking cool front caliper, emblazoned with the manufacturers logo, & then only to have a butt-ugly generic looking caliper for the rear.
Some may say, aaahhh, don't matter as long as the system works as it should.
I don't know. Call me vain, but the whole idea behind big wheels was to fit over big brakes. And if they're going to exposed in such a way, why not have something that looks really good? And are consistent in appearance front to rear?
Even still, it's 3 freakin' thousand bucks for the SSBC complete fr. & rr. kit. Schnapp!
From a company that has NEVER won any type of motorsport championship using these brakes!
Willwood & other manufacturers, while having proven their products on the track, are all in the same general ballpark, price-wise.
It's this state of confusion that has kept me from taking the leap on a rear disc conversion.
Everytime this subject comes up, I get all..."Do it. Don't do it. Yes. No. I don't know. Well...maybe! Damn!"

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I really like these two options, ive been looking at the SSBC, now im going to check out this other site! Al, any ideer if I should be using that proportioning valve with the SSBC kit? Sorry for the stupid question .... lol

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I really like these two options, ive been looking at the SSBC, now im going to check out this other site! Al, any ideer if I should be using that proportioning valve with the SSBC kit? Sorry for the stupid question .... lol

I would think so. The proportioning balance is different for disc/disc than disc/drum.
With the SSBC (front?) kit, they provide a new master cylinder that gives a firm feel to the pedal instead of the factory mushy feel one. Seems to me that that also has a new proportioning valve with the M/C. Have to check.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I'm going to look into it today, I'm only going to do the rears to get the truck rolling. Next winter, of 2015, I will look into umdating certain things, such as the front breaks. I'm going to run a new nbs master cylinder, and hydro boost.. Hoping I can make the two work together. With the 2500 front brakes, ssbc rears.. That should give me an amazing stopping power.

97chevyss82

Reaction score
Does anybody else besides ssbc make a bolt n front kit,I haven't found one with baer or wilwood?