Rear Disc Brakes on 1990 C1500.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marco427

Reaction score
Long story shortened: I'm completing the restoration on my daughter's 1990 Sportside pickup, and the rear brakes are causing me to lose my few, remaining hairs. The original rear axle was replaced with one that came off a truck with rear discs (the rear brakes were not included with the axle), so I bought the Little Shops rear disc conversion kit. In spite of repeated bleeding, the rear brakes barely work. It appears that the pistons retract into the caliper, requiring pumping of the pedal to put them back into contact with the pad. Help!

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check to see that the prop valve hasnt been activated. Actually, you might be better off getting an adjustable aftermarket prop valve to use them to their potential.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be using an aftermarket proportioning valve as mentioned before. The stock valve is for disc from drum rear. The pressure needed for disc front disc rear is different. While this may not solve your problem it is the safest way of adding discs to the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was the master cylinder replaced for disc/disc or is it the factory one for disc/drum?

marco427

Reaction score
Neither the master cylinder nor the proportioning valve were replaced. Can i get by just replacing the valve?