Rear bumper help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Balsam12

Reaction score
hey fellas. I bought a chrome rear bumper without brackets to replace my black stock one. Anyone know if I can un bolt bumper from brackets and pull straight off or do I have to take brackets off frame ? I need to re use my old brackets

Truck is a 1998 Silverado

Thanks

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would remove the brackets and swap then reinstall. I have impact gun and compressor though. I don't know why but the chrome ones seem to rust more than the painted. Maybe paint the inside

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I remember correctly take the bumper off attached to the brackets, swap the brackets over with the bumper unmounted, then remount the bumper. It's a pita trying to take the bumper off without the brackets when the bumper is mounted yet. (mainly has to do with rust I believe.)

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
trying to remove the rear bumper w/ the brackets still installed is difficult to do with the bed still in place. the brackets are angled & hit the bed when trying to remove to bumper. you said that the replacement bumper didn't have any brackets on it, this is the reason. just remove the plastic cap to gain access to the top bolts. soak bolts w/ some PB. replace if they are junk. undo plate light harness, unbolt bumper & remove. @ this time, if you need to do so, swap the harness or plate lights. clean/paint if desired. install new bumper & bolts, align before fully tightening. install cap/s, enjoy the improved looks.

I live in Mass, lots of rust & rot. I can remove these bumpers w/ a good 6pt socket on a 1/2" breaker bar w/ a good 6pt wrench on the back side to break it free, then swap to long handle 1/2" ratchet to finish it up.

some people don't have the luxury of a compressor & a gun in j/y. besides doing it by hand is your exercise for the day. You can honestly tell your spouse that you worked out. seriously though, its not difficult