Rear Brake issues( Drums )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i just tried putting the plugs in and pushed the pedal and it got tight as so i am in the same boat as you swims. I have tried to bleed mine with no luck. There has to be a way to reset that prop valve.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
I know u guys have tried every method under the sun but lemmie give my 2cents. When I bled my back brakes last I did the tube in the bottle method. When The bottle was on the ground, I couldn't get good pedal. Then I moved the bottle to the leaf spring, above the drum, and got a real good ******.;) Brakes been good ever sense. Also at this point in your effort, I would have replaced the prop valve just outta spite.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The bottle method is where you use a piece of hose, one end of the hose goes on the bleeder screw and the other end goes in a clear bottle with some brake fluid in it, make sure the hose is submerged in the fluid, and that way you can see the air coming out and know when it stop's and only fluid is coming out, it also help's to not get air back in the lines while tightening the bleeder screw during the bleeding process.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Fill bottle 1/4 full, run tube from bleeder into bottle, pump brakes, close bleeder. Make sure bottle is higher than bleeder.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how many times do you pump them with the bleeder open when you do it that way?

I tried it doing the 25 times pump thing but it was on the ground lower then the bleeder. I may have to give the above the bleeder a try.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have an assistant pump up the brakes and when they feel a slight firm pedal they tell me and then I crack the bleeder open and when the pedal goes all the way to the floor they tell me and I tighten the bleeder screw and repeat until there is no air left.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
yeah, like I said earlier. Puttin the bottle on the ground allows air back into the system. Bottle above keeps air up, fluid down. I only pump the pedal until 1. I can't hear any more air bubblin out, and 2. the pedal stiffens up.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nice I'll give it a shot for the heck of it.

As for bleeding I do as mentioned above, have somebody pump, hold, crack the bleeder, once the pedal falls, keep it held down, tighten bleeder, and repump/repeat until no air comes out.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My problem with the above method is that when the pedal is held I am not getting strong pressure out the back wheel cylinders.. so once you pump up the brakes and hold them.. and break loose either of the back 2 wheel cylinders.. the pedal does not budge at all. So I am still stuck at the proportioning valve issue.