Rear brake drums to caliper upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
My vehicle is a 98 Yukon 5.7 sbc 4x4 .
I own a small CNC shop. I was looking at rear caliper conversion kits. The adapter plates look easy enough to mill on the CNC.
I have a question for you guys that already have have done a upgrade like this. Do you know what replacement calipers most kits are , your kit is using?
Ive all ready figured out the master cylinder. I was guessing most were using ( that use a stock style caliper) 2000 -2013 gmc calipers and rotors on the rear.
Figured Ide ask open up a discussion.
Edit I just realized I put this in the wrong section sorry ....

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The kit's are designed to use Squarebody front calipers and rotors, I believe....... or 70's Cadillac calipers if you need an emergency brake, but I've read they're not really up to the job.

phlegm

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the kits, but on another forum I am working on my own front disk brake conversion and it utilizes dimensions from an off the shelf/standard weld on type bracket.

Measurements and initial prototypes
Big Cheap Brake Conversion -- My Photobucket Collection of Pictures
These are the basic dimensions of the weld on bracket.
You must be registered for see images attach

The dimesions that I forgot to write/note on the drawing.
The flat spots are 5/8" long and they are 3.8" apart (from inside flat to inside flat). The caliper mount bolts are 5.50" apart.

I'm a fairly simple minded fella, but by my reconing you need a few more pieces of information.
Backing plate bolt pattern for the stock axle
Rotor diameter

And you should be able to get the disk brakes working.. then you need to figure out the e-brake situation.

The bracket I measured was borrowed from my neighbor, a few years back he used to race circle dirt oval track.
When he was building/rebuilding his own rearends, he used this caliper with an air nozzle, and loaded the caliper with fresh pads, applied air to the caliper, then tacked/welded the bracket onto the axle.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is where the original idea for mine came from
Cheap Big Brakes Mustang/Falcon -- Ford Muscle Forum

I saw your post in the fabrication thread, I've got at least one machined part that I'd like to run past you. I work in IT for a company that has a CNC Plasma table, so in that last picture you see some of my other projects.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Hey ,
Shoot me an email if you would like to talk privately . My email is my screen name at gmail.
Thanks for the links im going to check them out now.
Plasma is great for 2d parts. Easy to run program also.
Mark