Rear 4x10 speakers in Suburbans, etc . . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mike

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

There has been some talk about the rear overhead 4x10 speakers in these rigs. Some people had suggested grinding away metal in attempts to install 6x9's which not only sound better, but that size gives many more options when shopping. Well, I had my headliner removed this morning for re-upholstering, and with the headliner out of the way, it revealed that the frames that the speakers mount to are just bolted in! Now, I don't know if the bolts are accessible with the headliner in and the covers removed, or not. But, if someone was hell-bent on swapping out the 4x10's with 6x9's . . . I believe there is a way! Just remove the frames and enlarge the opening. I believe that it would be cleaner than just taking a grinder to them.

As you can see in the pic, my 4x10's are SHOT! They were like that when I got the rig. I already got a replacement set, so I am just going to put those in and since my deck has an HPF, I shouldn't have that problem again.

Anyhow, I thought I'd pass the info along . . .

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!

I knew those mounts were super flimsy but now I know why, wow.

EDIT - I wonder if that's part of the reason why GM used 4x10s there... Seems like a 6x9 might be a heavier chunk to hang off of that flimsy sheet metal, especially after removing some of it for clearance.

Rtlngr2

Reaction score
I actually did modify the brackets in my 97 Sub. a while back and installed a set of Pioneer 6x9's. The speakers are definitely heavy but the brackets hold just fine. The covered grilles hang a little lower and there is just a little gap on the sides of the grilles and the headliner but not super noticeable, but still looks good. The magnets on mine are big and are close to the roof sheet metal. My suggestion would be to install some dyna-mat or similar product between the speaker and roof. This keeps the magnets from sticking to the roof and a little better sound quality. If you have the whole liner out, i would look at insulating the whole roof. I have not insulated the roof yet but this is my thought. Here in Florida with the summer heat and dark blue roof i think it would knock down some the the overall heat load and get the a/c to cool down quicker. Even with dual a/c there is a lot of area to cool down and in think this would be beneficial.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!

I knew those mounts were super flimsy but now I know why, wow.

EDIT - I wonder if that's part of the reason why GM used 4x10s there... Seems like a 6x9 might be a heavier chunk to hang off of that flimsy sheet metal, especially after removing some of it for clearance.

GM didn’t put 6X9 speakers because of the cost.

Another thing to do is remove the factory speakers and put the gray speaker boxes like in the video I’m posting.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media