Random Hesitated/stumble on start-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sarge

Reaction score
Having the same issue with my 99 350. Ive done just about the same if not more things replaced. i just did my intake gaskets and added a new dizzy and re-timed it and just like you, now and then same annoying issue.

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the truck did it a couple times yesterday... I'm getting burned out this issue, maybe I just ignore it from now on.
In other news, took a back road through the hills the other day with a lot of inclines and declines. Noticed my ABS came on, checked fluid level when I got home and it was fine. I went away after I shut the truck off and started back up. Just wondering what usually triggers the ABS light?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the truck did it a couple times yesterday... I'm getting burned out this issue, maybe I just ignore it from now on.
In other news, took a back road through the hills the other day with a lot of inclines and declines. Noticed my ABS came on, checked fluid level when I got home and it was fine. I went away after I shut the truck off and started back up. Just wondering what usually triggers the ABS light?

Abs light has nothing to do with fluid level. It is just the abs system itself. Most of the time when the abs light turns on it's one of your front hubs is goin bad

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so guys help me brainstorm some things that cause this issue to be intermittent. I'll take any idea or try anything at this point

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so guys help me brainstorm some things that cause this issue to be intermittent. I'll take any idea or try anything at this point

I have noticed with mine it only does it when the motor is warm or hot. Never cold. So its something affected by heat. Im thinking coil or ign module for mine

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
I think I might have fixed mine (fingers crossed). I took some electrical contact cleaner and cleaned every single sensor and connector I could find. Fired up like a brand new truck. No more surging idle and random stumbling. Even cleared my MAF code as well.

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I might have fixed mine (fingers crossed). I took some electrical contact cleaner and cleaned every single sensor and connector I could find. Fired up like a brand new truck. No more surging idle and random stumbling. Even cleared my MAF code as well.

even though most of my sensors are new, this may be a good afternoon project. i do clean my MAF and TB religiously, but i honestly have never cleaned all the connectors

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having read through this thread twice, and pondering it for two cigarettes and a glass of iced tea, I think I may have something. You said in previous posts that most of the fuel system has been replaced, and that you have good fuel pressure KOEO, KOER, and no bleed off after the key is turned off. My question is this: have you ever checked your fuel pressure while the truck was acting up? My guess would be no, because you always seem to have the issue after running it or driving it for a while and letting it sit for a bit. This still sounds like a fuel related issue, so I'm going to suppose that the fuel pressure is bleeding off, likely through an injector, and causing a hard start (due to loss of prime) and rough idle (due to loss of prime and a rich/flooded condition) on startup. I would suggest cycling the key several times before each startup. If the issue is resolved, or at least changes from a hard start to an initial rough idle, then you'll have a clue as to where the problem lies. A more scientific way to do this would be to leave the fuel pressure gauge connected to the rail, run it up the cowl, and tape it to the windshield. That way you can actually see if the pressure is bleeding off while the truck is sitting and then start diagnosing where the fuel is going. If you've tried it, it may be worth another try. If you haven't, it's a pretty simple way to get some new data.

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SAATR, thank you for the lengthy response. You make some real good points, and as much as it makes sense, I Really hope it's not a leaky injector(s)... Lol
I knew the factory injectors are crap by design and researched that the ls1 injectors make for a great substitute after the computer is tuned to match. When I have a chance to rent that fuel pressure gauge again, I will try what you recommended.