Random Hesitated/stumble on start-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well shoot, at only $3 a bottle i'm going to stock up on some of that iso-heet. probably a good thing to use periodically even if it doesn't completely solve my problem.

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New cap, rotor, plugs, and coil. After about 5 trial start-ups...it had its hesitated stumbled start. Just picked up two bottles of iso-heet, poured both in and filled the tank. I guess time will tell if that helped

Last edited:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far approx 15 consecutive start ups mine is gone......... My Cam/crank offset was off WITHOUT setting the SES light! I just moved it a little at a time till it started nice and idled smoother. Every time I moved it I had to hold the throttle open to something over 1500rpm If you go to far you will know it. I just found the best spot for it and locked the dizzy down and it hasn't acted up since. Will keep you posted.

If you don't feel like messing with the dizzy (or if you don't have a code reader to clear SES light if you happen to set it take it to the dealer and have them set the Cam/crank offset with a scan tool)

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So far approx 15 consecutive start ups mine is gone......... My Cam/crank offset was off WITHOUT setting the SES light! I just moved it a little at a time till it started nice and idled smoother. Every time I moved it I had to hold the throttle open to something over 1500rpm If you go to far you will know it. I just found the best spot for it and locked the dizzy down and it hasn't acted up since. Will keep you posted.

If you don't feel like messing with the dizzy (or if you don't have a code reader to clear SES light if you happen to set it take it to the dealer and have them set the Cam/crank offset with a scan tool)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya! I did have a shop re-stab and set the distributor after i replaced the intake manifold gaskets. hasn't set a code or anything since, but maybe it's off just enough to cause my problem...

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so today i've been starting the truck and letting it idle for a few minutes, shut it off. then come back like 15-20 min later and do it again. well on like the 4th start i did, it had a rough start, same as it was, same as it's been... turn the key. starter cranks normally. engine fires but barely holds on around 2-300 rpm and slowly works it's way up to idle speed. VS. a normal start, where the engine pops off quick, hits about 1000rpm and settles down to set idle speed...

kinda funny that my 74 c10 with a good ol' edelbrock 4 barrel, fires off immediately after turning the key. hot, cold, summer, winter, sitting for weeks, don't matter. guess there's just no beating the old stuff..

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Is it noticeably running rich when you start it? i know you said you have new injectors... Whats the deal the LS1 injectors? maybe they are dumping to much fuel or if you have a custom tune you may have it dumping to much fuel.

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well the ls1 injectors are bigger than stock, however when i did the 0411 swap i had the PCM tuned for them. if those were the issue, i'd think it would rough start every time